Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Permanent mounting of Nuvi...thoughts anyone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Permanent mounting of Nuvi...thoughts anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Permanent mounting of Nuvi...thoughts anyone? Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 300T and to use the Traffic module I have to dangle the receiver cable across the bottom of the windscreen and have the unit plugged into the cigarette lighter. I know that Halfords offer an installation service whereby the will wire it directly to the battery and have the traffic module go to the car aerial.
I reckon I will need a different traffic module but are there any other drawbacks to having this done and is there anyone better than Halfords?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I can't find a topic search facility on here.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they? Will they actually wire that into the car aerial? I thought they only hid the wiring behind the dash and gave you a permanent power feed....

If you want to connect your Garmin to your car aerial, the best thing to buy is a Garmin GTM10, which comes with all the connectors to connect it inline with your stereo (*) (**). This will set you back a fair amount of money though, and isn't compatible with the 6xx series in case you plan to upgrade.

(*) In nearly all cases - in my case the correct connectors were there, but didn't quite fit, so I had to resort to another plan.

(**) No, a Kenwood GTM10 is not the same unit, it may or may not come with a lifetime subscription to Trafficmaster, and will not come with all the variety of connectors in the box that the Garmin one comes with. Any car audio dealer selling a GTM10 is likely to be selling the Kenwood version, especially if you find one at over half the price of the Garmin unit.

One option, although it voids your warranty is to fit a car aerial splitter behind the dash, and then use the second feed from the splitter to connect to the single wire of the GTM12 - then you can hide the wires behind the dash and get some better reception, although it may not be as good as a GTM10, and you will still not get perfect reception coverage with either solution.

If you are looking for a permanent mounting solution, you may also want to look at the Brodit Nuvi mount paired to a car specific Brodit ProClip - this will make the installation look more permanent too, and remove your need to use the suction cup (unless you've already got one of the Garmin alternatives in use).
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Will they? Will they actually wire that into the car aerial? I thought they only hid the wiring behind the dash and gave you a permanent power feed....

Ah, maybe I'm making assumptions here. They just said they 'would fit it', so maybe it is just wiring up to the battery. I've only just got the car and don't feel confident messing about with the dash, which is why I'm looking to get it professionally done. Reception is ok even through a Mondeo heated front screen. It's just all the unsightly wires dangling everywhere.

Thanks v.much for the advice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: