Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Charging the Battery via USB?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Charging the Battery via USB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheznor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Charging the Battery via USB? Reply with quote

Hey, this may seem like a stupid question, but i can't find an answer anywhere. For charging the battery the instruction manual just basically says "plug into USB drive" or "Use car adapter".... I understand that the majority of people use the car adapter to charge their unit while they drive, and thats fine... that one makes sense to me cuz when you're driving, the battery symbol shows up with the little lightning bolt across it which i'm assuming means its charging.

However, when I want to charge it at home, my only option is the USB charger because my unit (Nuvi 650) didn't come with an AC adapter. But when I plug the unit into my computer it automatically like gets detected as a storage device and sits on the main opening screen with the "detecting/reading" symbol showing (The one with the picture of the computer connected to the unit). Therefore I can't tell whether its actually charging or not? I assume its charging, but i left it sitting there attached on that screen for a good hour or so and it barely charged at all. Is it just a really slow process when you charge via USB on ure computer? Or is my unit possibly faulty?

Thanks.
Paddywack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Nuvi 300 connected to the PC with the USB lead I dissconnect the device using "Safely Remove Hardware". The Nuvi then boots up as if connected to the car adaptor. I then swith off the Nuvi and it displays "Going into charge mode". The Nuvi dsplays "Battery Charging Complete" when the process is complete. I think this speeds up the recharge process as the screen is virtually blank.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - it will charge with the unit when turned on, but will charge it faster with the unit turned off - as Paddywack says, use the computer's "Safely Remove Hardware" option, and then if the Nuvi starts to reboot simply turn it off, and it will charge via the still connected USB cable.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 360 and a Nuvi 660FM.

Paddywack is absolutlely correct in that this is how a Nuvi 3XX behaves.

However on my 660, when I click the unplug or eject hardware icon, my unit powers down. There is no "Going in to Charging mode" message displayed on the screen and having left my unit overnight, there doesn't appear to have been any charge going into the Nuvi 660 via the USB cable at all.

Garmin recommend pressing the on/off button halfway down but this doesn't do anything for me when connect via USB to my PC.

Can anyone else get a "Going into Charging mode message" on their 660 after clicking the unplug hardware icon on the PC?

Nuvi is running Firmware 4.10
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:

However on my 660, when I click the unplug or eject hardware icon, my unit powers down. There is no "Going in to Charging mode" message displayed on the screen and having left my unit overnight, there doesn't appear to have been any charge going into the Nuvi 660 via the USB cable at all.

Same problem on the Nuvi 250, i can't find a way to charge it using a usb lead. As above I tried the unplug hardware icon, but it did not auto switch to charging mode.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: