Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POLL - Do You Have Map Share Activated on Your Tom Tom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL - Do You Have Map Share Activated on Your Tom Tom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Map Share User or Not
Yes, I use Map share
75%
 75%  [ 24 ]
No, I don't use Map Share
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 32

spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: POLL - Do You Have Map Share Activated on Your Tom Tom? Reply with quote

Just to get a straw poll result...

Do you have Map Share activated on your Tom Tom and what are your reasons for your decision?

On my part I haven't activated it as I'm not overtly keen on the concept whilst it's still in its infancy and Tom Tom develop the idea (might be a bit paranoid but presently my Tom Tom works solidly and don't wish to jeopardise that). Also the implementation of Map Share where by it could potentially, over time, fill up the available POI slots on my Tom Tom, and the ramifications of that, kind of worries me. Finally, memory consideration - I only have 19MB free on my Tom Tom One Europe (3rd Edition) so wonder with all these Map Share updates could I rapidly reduce the available MB's with mapping corrections which may never have any relevance to me?

spcdust

Mods:
Please feel free to convert this posting into a full Poll with Yes and No options - I don't seem to have sufficient privileges to create a proper poll.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it and I think the idea is great in principle, however it is seriously let down through poor implementation and that fact that updates consume Custom POI slots. I am also disappointed in the time it takes for updates submitted to be offered within subsequent downloads to other devices, weeks/ months have passed on certain POI files I submitted.

To only have 19MB free on the One Third Edition, is this RAM or actual memory space when you view the unit through Home/ Windows Explorer - Mike
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcdust,

I'd be interested in expanding the poll to see who is enjoying the full benefits of Mapshare and who are submit only.

I've been submitting for about a month and never get a download update of either map or POI. As TT have limited the mapshare free membership to 1 year then I'll most P*ssed off if they think submission only is "membership".

Still, acording to TT I should be enjoying all the benefits by the end of the last month!!!

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

To only have 19MB free on the One Third Edition, is this RAM or actual memory space when you view the unit through Home/ Windows Explorer - Mike

Hi Mike

It's the actual devices memory space, not the RAM. Basically 960.7MB used with 19MB remaining. In addition I only have the UK speed zoned pocket GPS POI's installed along with London Underground stations and National Trust/English Heritage location POI's.

Now I've got the device stable (no freezing) I'm more than happy with it (didn't fancy a bells and whistles SatNav) and it comfortably fits into my jeans pocket. I'm not sure if only having 19MB of memory left is good or bad? I figure that most POI's only take a fraction of memory space and that's all I'd probably install, although as I mentioned I don't know what the cumulative Map Share updates would add in the way of data?

spcdust
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it and, like Mike, think the implementation is poor. Having said that, I don't know what options for implementation there were/are.

As regards using up your Custom POI slots, I think these are only used if you select POI updates, so by limiting the number of POIs you want updating you can mitigate against this. For instance, I can live without updating Amusement Parks, Beaches, etc..

One thing to bear in mind, though, is that if you reposition your own POIs, you will get a new .ov2 file for that (PA7311.ov2) and if you also download POI updates for petrol stations then you'll also get another file (CA7311.ov2). So for each category you have an interest in, you might have two files.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using it at the moment but without being able to see any sort of list of the updates it's tricky to say if it's actually doing anything. The files are downloading but god knows what the changes are.
algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted No but I did try it once and reported a by Pass that is not on the map I connected to TT Home but nothing seemed to happen I assumed that it did not work on my TTone old version

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: