Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator won't start - nothing, nada
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator won't start - nothing, nada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esassaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Navigator won't start - nothing, nada Reply with quote

Navigator (version 2) just stopped working the other day. I launched it without the maps installed (on my SD card) and I got an error that it couldn't find the maps. I plugged in the SD card and now it won't run. It just doesn't start.

Can't think of anything I've changed on my Toshiba e750. Haven't installed anything new lately. Navigator just won't start from any shortcut, I tried launching it right from the Navigator directory. No errors, no nothing. I do not see it running in the task list, and I don't notice my memory dropping as usual when a program launches.

So I uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything - from the PC to the e750, reinstalled the maps (got the new map CD in the mail, thanks TomTom!). The setup wizard runs, but Navigator just won't launch at all. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening especially on a fresh install, reset, etc.

My next tactic is to find a registry editor for my PPC and dig around and see if there's some kind of corrupted registry entry that occurred when I got the error about not being able to find the maps. This won't be the first time that an application uninstall didn't clean up after itself and leave crud in the registry that stopped it from working even after a clean install.
esassaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another clue - if I remove the SD card with my maps on it, I get an error: "No maps found, please install and activate and original TomTom Navigator 2 map first."

So this means TTN2 is really starting. If I put the SD card back in it won't launch again - no error, nothing.

Is this an activation issue? It didn't ask to re-activate when I reinstalled - I see what appears to be my code in the registry under HKCU\Software\TomTom\TomTomNavigator\ActCodes.
esassaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I had WA maps installed and I installed a different map (OR) and Navigator launches! It also starts in the OR map and says that there are no other maps installed - it doesn't see the WA maps at all. Must be a corrupted file in the WA directory - even though I just installed maps on top of the old files.

Sure enough I deleted the WA directory on the SD card and installed WA maps again and all is well. Some kind of corruption on the SD media maybe? I can't imagine why overwriting the files in the WA directory wouldn't fix a corrupted file problem - I installed the WA maps repeatedly. But zapping the directory THEN installing the WA maps seems to have fixed the problem. Whew!!!
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a guess but I'd suggest it was your directory (FAT) which was corrupted not the files in it - ie it couldn't see the map files because the pointer to the maps was not working .

DinAlt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is certainly symptomatic of an SD card issue, I ask this often but is it a Sandisk card?
esassaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes it is a Sandisk SD card.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I win the prize then! No seriously, if you search the forums you will find many many issues with Sandisk cards that are manufactured in China. All sorts of weird and wonderful issues from the less serious like slow searching and lock ups to the possibly disastrous complete loss of data on the card.

Your only option is to replace the card, your current issues will get worse if you retain it. Avoid any Sandisk to be safe and any other identified as having been manufactured in China or PRC (Peoples Republic of China).
esassaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my sandisk SD is manufactured in China. I'll be sure not to store anything important on this card and if I continue to have problems I'll toss it and get something more reliable. Thanks for the tip!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: