Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
studiodaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

Hi I got my Mio C510E around 12 weeks ago but the maps are very mush out of date with wrong turnings and places missing. Also main roads show incorrect speed warning. Coventry's A444 (dual carriageway) shows 30MPH when it should be 50 MPH, and there are more errors too.

I have filled in the support form on Mio's web site and told them the maps are dated 2006 and some of the roads on the map should be showing changes that where done previous to this date.

They replied asking me to update the Miomap to V3 http://www.mio-tech.be/en/support/C510-downloads.php which I did but this hasn't fix the map data as roads and speeds are still incorrect.

As this was a new device why are the maps out of date, is this normal and what can I do to correct this?

Daz
studiodaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now emailed Mio again,

I will post back as soon as I get a reply.

Daz Crying or Very sad
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

studiodaz wrote:
Hi I got my Mio C510E around 12 weeks ago but the maps are very mush out of date with wrong turnings and places missing. Also main roads show incorrect speed warning. Coventry's A444 (dual carriageway) shows 30MPH when it should be 50 MPH, and there are more errors too.

I have filled in the support form on Mio's web site and told them the maps are dated 2006 and some of the roads on the map should be showing changes that where done previous to this date.

They replied asking me to update the Miomap to V3 http://www.mio-tech.be/en/support/C510-downloads.php which I did but this hasn't fix the map data as roads and speeds are still incorrect.

As this was a new device why are the maps out of date, is this normal and what can I do to correct this?

Daz

Nothing you can do about the speed limit sign being incorrect I'm afraid. It's generally acknowledged that Miomap is often wrong when it comes to speed signs - assuming that almost every dual carriageway is a 70mph limit for example.

Unfortunately there's no way to turn the usually error ridden sign off (apart from using a new skin in an unlocked device).

Nothing much you can do about the maps either - apart from paying for the 2007 release (which may also contain errors).
studiodaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Nothing much you can do about the maps either - apart from paying for the 2007 release (which may also contain errors).

I guess I will send if back to ASDA and ask for a newer one.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth remembering that the speed limits are a tool only and because most of the GPS manufacturers use the same mapping data, I'd say it's unlikely that anything will change with a later version.

In my opinion, the mapping data for roads is more important than speed limits and, as long as you're being navigated correctly, I'd view speed limits as a guide only.

Since I first got my Mio, the roads I use regularly haven't themselves changed that much (except for the odd re-surfacing), but several speed limits have been changed.

I think it's a little unfair to expect the mapping companies to be out all the time checking for new speed limit signs when the route itself hasn't changed.

After all, if the Mio was to tell you to turn the wrong way up a one-way street would you follow the instruction or use your better judgement?

Sadly, we're still in an age where you, the driver, are in control of the vehicle and GPS is merely a tool and you are still expected to observe road signs, other vehicles etc
studiodaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
It is worth remembering that the speed limits are a tool only and because most of the GPS manufacturers use the same mapping data, I'd say it's unlikely that anything will change with a later version.

In my opinion, the mapping data for roads is more important than speed limits and, as long as you're being navigated correctly, I'd view speed limits as a guide only.

Since I first got my Mio, the roads I use regularly haven't themselves changed that much (except for the odd re-surfacing), but several speed limits have been changed.

I think it's a little unfair to expect the mapping companies to be out all the time checking for new speed limit signs when the route itself hasn't changed.

After all, if the Mio was to tell you to turn the wrong way up a one-way street would you follow the instruction or use your better judgement?

Sadly, we're still in an age where you, the driver, are in control of the vehicle and GPS is merely a tool and you are still expected to observe road signs, other vehicles etc

I can live with the speed limits being wrong but not the out of date map.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studiodaz wrote:

I can live with the speed limits being wrong but not the out of date map.

if you buy a paper map it would be out of date as soon as it went to print... ditto for digital maps

MaFt
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

studiodaz wrote:
Retty wrote:

I guess I will send if back to ASDA and ask for a newer one.

I don't think there is a newer version of the C510E - I could be wrong but I think all versions of the C510 come with 2006 maps. Only the newer models in the Mio range come with 2007 maps.

Mio devices seem to have a very short sale life - the C510 and C710 are just over a year old and were discontinued at about 1 year old. The purchase date won't unfortunately allow you to access up to date maps. I think there should be some sort of free upgrade or nominal cost upgrade service for people who have bought the devices in the last quarter before a new map release but this doesn't happen.

As for the speed limits I would advise considering unlocking the device and using a new skin - one which doesn't feature the speed display.

An odd thing about the speed warnings is that they aren't informed by speed camera values. In one sense I can understand why - you can't assume that a stretch of road is 50mph just because a speed camera 200 yards away is correctly set to 50mph. But I don't understand why Mio hasn't provided an option with the unlocked skin to turn the speed display off.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

studiodaz wrote:

Daz

Daz,
There are only two map suppliers - Navteq and Teleatlas. Whichever GPS unit you buy it will have one set of maps or the other. There is a long chain of events from road changes being reported before the updated map appears in on the unit you buy in the shops. If you find map errors there are ways of reporting them to the map supplier, you will find them on the map forums here
All the GPS unit suppliers change their models frequently to keep up with the competition, so it's rare to see any model on sale for more than a year. Often these are only minor or cosmetic changes but obviously the replacement model has the latest maps. With Mio, when you connect for an 'update' you will get any later maps that are available, so it's worth doing an online update to see what you get. I've had my Mio710 for over a year and have had a number of updated maps together with postcode updates that are included with the maps, so it's always worth trying an update from time to time.
Good luck
-Sal
studiodaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
studiodaz wrote:

Daz

Daz,
There are only two map suppliers - Navteq and Teleatlas. Whichever GPS unit you buy it will have one set of maps or the other. There is a long chain of events from road changes being reported before the updated map appears in on the unit you buy in the shops. If you find map errors there are ways of reporting them to the map supplier, you will find them on the map forums here
All the GPS unit suppliers change their models frequently to keep up with the competition, so it's rare to see any model on sale for more than a year. Often these are only minor or cosmetic changes but obviously the replacement model has the latest maps. With Mio, when you connect for an 'update' you will get any later maps that are available, so it's worth doing an online update to see what you get. I've had my Mio710 for over a year and have had a number of updated maps together with postcode updates that are included with the maps, so it's always worth trying an update from time to time.
Good luck
-Sal

Mio emailed me and asked me to do an online update but it only updated the software, the map still says 2006.01+

We have a railway crossroad that has been closed for 3years here in coventry and this is showing as a road on the Mio map. Sad

I guess I should have researched more and not got an out of date model.

thanks

Daz
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

studiodaz wrote:
We have a railway crossroad that has been closed for 3years here in coventry and this is showing as a road on the Mio map. Sad

Have you checked paper maps to see how this appears on them?

As SallyAnn said, with only 2 map suppliers, there's not a great deal you can do.

The Mio, however, does give you the benefit of faster route re-calculations and so on than a lot of other GPS manufacturers. My boss recently used his TomTom with a postcode and it took him about TWENTY miles from where he should have been.

Please try not to be too negative because your GPS still has a lot of plus points and you wouldn't be much better off if you'd spent a lot more money one the top range model from a different manufacturer.

There's an old level crossing near where I live...the railway line hasn't been used by trains for about 20 years, the railway lines are still there and were only tarred over within the last few months. To walk to my in-laws, you have to walk over the old railway lines and the tracks are still there in places.

What are the map makers supposed to make of a quandry like this? As far as I can see, they've done the right thing and shown it as a railway - the tracks are still there for most of it, after all.
studiodaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

Have you checked paper maps to see how this appears on them?

No but google map had the crossing blocked for road trafic.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Unknown+road+%4052.399360,+-1.547130&daddr=Unknown+road+%4052.399360,+-1.547130&sll=52.399362,-1.546336&sspn=0.002507,0.007296&ie=UTF8&ll=52.399342,-1.547184&spn=0.005014,0.014591&z=16&om=1

But I would expect google to be very up to date.

Thanks for your help

Daz
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

studiodaz wrote:
But I would expect google to be very up to date.

In my experience, Google maps are actually quite out of date and the images in GoogleEarth are several years out of date

Having said that, the reference you gave is a TeleAtlas source - the same source as the maps for your Mio Confused
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapping errors, updates etc may be reported here:

http://mapfeedback.teleatlas.com/index.htm
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mio 510E maps out of date, what can I do? Reply with quote

studiodaz wrote:
Sallyann wrote:
studiodaz wrote:

Daz

Daz,
Good luck
-Sal

Mio emailed me and asked me to do an online update but it only updated the software, the map still says 2006.01+

thanks

Daz

Actaully, I see from the GPS Passion forums that Mio did provide a *free* (ignoring a nominal postage cost) update for US owners of the Mio 310 - the update included a firmware update (hardware ID related) and the 2007 maps!

Nothing like that for European customers Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: