Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory card and internal memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory card and internal memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianbj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Memory card and internal memory Reply with quote

I have a tomtom 520 and would like to know if it is possible to access data which is on the memory card without also having it in the internal memory.
Also I find that when I connect to the PC with the memory card installed TT Home comes up on the PC but the MY 520 is greyed out and can only be accessed by removing the memory card. I can change the device from memory card to internal memory and visa versa with the memory card installed.
Any help would be appreciated,
Brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, connect the unit to the PC and when Home starts up shut down the Home application on the PC, start up Windows Explorer on the PC and have a look at the drives, your TomTom should show up as two drives, one the internal memory the other the storage card, what data are you trying to access on both storage mediums though? - Mike
brianbj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Thanks for replying so soon,
I didn't explain myself very well. I downloaded some POIs and installed them in the map folder on my memory card. I had expected them to appear on the tomtom when I selected the Points of Interest menu but they did not appear until I also put them in the map folder on the internal memory under a new category.
I had expected to be able to access them from the device without adding them to the internal memory to navigate to one of them. I thought the memory card would act as an extention to the internal memory soehow., otherwise it does nothing to extend that memory.
Any idea why the TT520 is greyed out on TT Home When the memory card is inserted in the TT520?
Brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI related files must be placed into the currently active map folder for the software to use them, anywhere else and it will not use them, if you have multiple maps installed spaning the internal memory and SD card you will need to use Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch map to select the correct map for the device to use.

As for TomTom Home not displaying things correctly with a memory card inserted is down to poor software creation, I better not get on my soap box but suffice to say I refuse to use Home unless absolutely necessary (which fortunately is not often). Another failure is when Bluetooth is enabled on the TomTom as this can also lead to unpredictable results with the Home software.
The idea of TomTom Home is great, unfortunately I have found many problems with it and have also worked out solutions to avoid using it, I keep trying it and if/ when it becomes reliable and trustworthy to do as it claims, including supporting multiple devices (without multiple e-mail addresses, this is no more a security measure than the Yeoman protecting the Crown Jewels) then I might start using it - I won't be holding my breath though, swimming the Atlantic might be easier - It is time to get back to earth and climb off the ''box'' Use the suplied PC based software if you really have to - Mike
brianbj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike,
I thought I might be able to use the POIs by putting them on the map folder on the memory card only, being as I only have the GB map but it seems they must also be in the map folder of the internal memory. I thought the idea of having a memory card was to save the internal memory.
Many thanks for your help,
Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you have got a map folder on your SD card at all?

As supplied the 520 has the map, the operating system and everything else on the internal flash memory, and an empty SD card slot.

Unlike earlier models, on the x20 units you CAN use the SD card as additional storage for SOME items: MP3 music files, and additional maps are two examples.
On older models, you had to copy EVERYTHING onto the card and the unit would then boot from the software on the card and ignore the internal memory completely.

But POIs ALWAYS have to be in the map folder they are meant for.

So, if you are using the map that was supplied with the device, you put the POI files into the map folder in the flash memory. If they are for a DIFFERENT map that you have installed on an SD card then you would put them in THAT folder on the card. To use that map, you would switch to it in the preferences menu.

From what you say, it seems you've copied the same map from the flash memory onto a card? That's not gaining you anything, and the machine probably isn't using it from what you've said.
brianbj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
Everything you say is absolutely true. I copied the map from the internal memory to the card just as a backup in case I ever accidentally deleted it.
I found that I could access music and photo files from the card and wondered why I could not access the POIs unless they were in the map folder on the internal memory but I realise now from what you said regarding having other maps that POIs are dedicated to a particular map or area and that is why I cannot access them straight from the card.
Mant thanks for your explanation and all has now been revealed,
Once again many thanks,
Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we got it sorted.
Actually, you were thinking very much along the right lines by doing that backup. If only everyone thought ahead like you!

However I'd suggest you now copy it all to your PC harddrive and then even burn it to a DVD if you can. Then you can free up loads of space on that SD card for more music or even a different map. Smile
brianbj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,
Actually this is my 2nd TT520, the first one had to be returned because after downloading TTHome 2 and some other file it said I needed I lost the text to speech and after phoning TT helpline and trying everything they suggested including cleaning my registry it still did not work and they told me to send it back.
When I received the new one I immediately copied everything on it to a seperate hard disk as well as the ordinary hard disk on my computer and refused to download anything except GPS update from TTHome.
I now just use the version of TTHome which was on the CD that came with the device.
I use Explorer to install/uninstall. The only additions I have made are putting some photos on the memory card and downloading some POIs from this website.
As a matter of interest with regard to the memory card, I bought an Integral 1GB SD card from Comet for £9.99 and our local Lidl supermarket is shortly getting some 512MB cards which have been reduced from £39.99 to £29.99. Some bargain huh? I remember seeing a post regarding which cards are compatible with TT and I can tell you that this Integral card works just fine.
Best regards,
Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: