Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best GPS for travelling abroad - keep getting lost on hols!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best GPS for travelling abroad - keep getting lost on hols!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoraineP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Best GPS for travelling abroad - keep getting lost on hols! Reply with quote

This is my first visit to this forum, so please forgive me if I am asking obvious questions.
As I have absolutely NO sense of direction, my husband has offered to buy me some form of tracking device so that I can safely travel from my holiday apartment to the local supermarket and back.
I love the idea of having an interactive map in my hand, but do not want one that costs money every time I turn it on!
Could your members recommend an inexpensive device that I can use in both the UK and the Greek Islands (mostly Rhodes)? I have a Sony Eriksson K800i phone, which takes a GPRS device, but I suspect that this would cost me dearly every time I use it. I just want to pay for the device and the maps, then run it for free.
I do not drive, so I don't need an in-car system. I really only need something that lets me plot my start position, then 'guides' me back when I've finished shopping, although coloured street maps sound good. Also, I would prefer something that can take a few knocks.

I would be very grateful for any advice your mambers could offer me.

Loraine
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorraine and Welcome The first problem is Rhodes, there is almost no GPS mapping of the small Greek islands.

I would recommend a stand alone navigation device such as a TomTom, easier and simpler to use then phone based and no costs other than purchase.

If use on Rhodes is the primary purpose then I'm afraid there is no solution as yet Crying or Very sad
LoraineP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your speedy reply. My husband is now offering to buy me a Long Lead.
Could you tell me if TomTom and Garmin use different types of mapping software, and which, in your opinion, is likely to be the most popular GPS software in the future (I am old enough to remember plumping for Betamax instead of VHS!)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom and Garmin have different software so different look and feel, they also use different map data providers.

However both are very good solutions. I prefer TomTom's interface but it's very much a personal preference.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoraineP wrote:
Thank you for your speedy reply. My husband is now offering to buy me a Long Lead.
Could you tell me if TomTom and Garmin use different types of mapping software, and which, in your opinion, is likely to be the most popular GPS software in the future (I am old enough to remember plumping for Betamax instead of VHS!)

I'm old enough too!

And Betamax is still the choice I would make. Of course it lived on for professional VTR and there is still today a digital betamax format in use by professional broadcasters.

The say nav s/w is largely irrelevant (unless you have a specific leaning towards a particular interface). The mapping (quality and accuracy) is what counts and with the latest developements and acquisitions it promises to be a lively few months ahead. NAVTEQ probably still have a small lead in my opinion.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
The say nav s/w is largely irrelevant (unless you have a specific leaning towards a particular interface). The mapping (quality and accuracy) is what counts and with the latest developements and acquisitions it promises to be a lively few months ahead. NAVTEQ probably still have a small lead in my opinion.

I find the mapping data differences not to be the issue, for me the UI is the important feature hence why I favour TomTom Very Happy
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find a map of the Greek Islands with Rhodes, would a Garmin e-trex be better for you, no maps at all, but it will show you the way home, look here.

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/garmin-etrex-description.html?PHPSESSID=d6abdf307e3dfd60a189701b64063dd3

You can buy a more expensive model with maps, but I don't know if they do Rhodes.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some maps Here but may not have enough detail but beter than nothing. I used a map on my Gpsmap 60c from this site when I went to Corfu and it was very useful.If you are getting a Garmin hand held unit I would go for one of the high sensitivity receivers,more money but worth every penny.
Dave
LoraineP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I am delighted with the response I have had to my question. I didn't expect so many people to take the time to reply.

After reading all your advice, my husband (Andy) has been converted from Garmin to TomTom (he thinks they will be the most user-friendly).

I am seriously interested in the Garmin Etrex - if I can't get a GPS map of Rhodes then it would be great to just plot my travels and have a device guide me back via a reverse route.

I am hoping to obtain a Garmin device in the next couple of weeks, but in the meantime I have managed to bag a Bluetooth GPS on Ebay. In theory this will connect effortlessly to my Sony Ericsson K800i and take the TomTom V5 software that I pinched from a friend. As this cost less than £30, and apparently doesn't incur running costs, I won't be too upset if I can't get it running, but if it does work it will help me to decide which system suits me best. Who knows, it might even help me to convince Andy to get GPS for the car - this could save many a heated debate on day trips!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: