Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ground hog day?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground hog day?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Ground hog day? Reply with quote

I get a 2min dalay which is shown on the M55 where it joins onto the M6 (J32) going eastbound. It happens every day on my way home from work, but there is never any traffic problem there. (it seems to be there all the time, but I just see at at 4pm)

This happened on my tomtom one v1 for about 1 year. I then upgraded to a 720 a few weeks ago, and it happens on this also!

I reported it to Tomtom about 12 months ago, and after a few emails backward and forwards, they reckoned that the traffic reporting was done through other peoples mobile phones, and as there is a busy roundabout at that point to get on to the M55, thats why this was happening. Shocked

erm.....

So 1 year on, and I thought I would report this again.

see what gem they come back with this time... Confused

watch this space!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try tackling iTIS as the supplier of the information, there are a couple of active threads in the traffic message forum section that might be worth looking at.
For what it is worth the junction they are listing as a problem is a trouble spot in the rush hour periods but only for traffic leaving the motorway at the Broughton roundabout - being local you will know this and avoid using the junction to leave the M55 for Preston/ A6. If you are running straight through to the M6 where there is no presented problem then you will see the traffic build up trying to leave the motorway and it is this delay that is being (miss) reported - Mike
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's next... Well I have a narrow lane warning on the M4 @ J6 that just never seems to go away... (TT720 with TTTraffic).

Plus this morning I had an icon for traffic on the M4 between J8/9 and J7, yet nothing on the side bar... (Apart from the non-existent traffic on the Heathrow spur (9 minute delay it claimed) and the A404(M)...

Sigh... i was hoping that TT had solved these problems in the last 2 years since I tried it...

H
rjgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relpy from TOMTOM last time I reported this:

Quote:
As the function and service operates by calculating the amount of mobile phones in aparticular area to implement the possibility of traffic jams, if there happens to be a large number of phones in the area transmitting at a certain time, it will show up as a jam on the road of which you are travelling especially if at this intersection it is required to desellerate considerably which may indicate to the server that there is a jam if the main road way continues to carry on.

It may not take this intersection or off area as such.

Thank you for your feed back, I will pass this onto the 2nd line Plus Services and our programmers.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is complete rubbish as far as I can tell, the only mobile phone system that can supply TomTom with additional traffic information is the 715 device using Vodaphone, this is not in widespread usage.

If mobile phones were stationary in a single position (like a city centre) there would be hold ups all over the country. iTIS who supply the information use a number of different vehicles equipped with feedback systems (Floating Vehicle Data - see Here for a better description).

The response you were given was probably laughed at by second line support if it did indeed make it to them for consideration - Mike
rjgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest reply from tomtom:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Please open the attached file. This will give you all of the relevant information that you require regarding TomTom traffic.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you require any additional assistance.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

file is a word document which is:

Quote:
TomTom is not responsible for traffic information which is reported / not reported via RDS-TMC. RDS-TMC data comes from local radio stations. TomTom only provides the tool to receive that data = The TomTom RDS-TMC receiver.
Information from you -
• Exact date and time when the Traffic info was last updated via the mobile phone
• Place / direction where the traffic incident occured
This will be escalated to the traffic provider depending on the country and checked why the incident was not reported to TomTom and therefore not present on the TomTom Traffic server.
Please, find information on our traffic information suppliers in the table below:

UK - ITIS

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and not to mention the a27 roadworks which is always in the wrong place drives me mad
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
That is complete rubbish as far as I can tell, the only mobile phone system that can supply TomTom with additional traffic information is the 715 device using Vodaphone, this is not in widespread usage.

If mobile phones were stationary in a single position (like a city centre) there would be hold ups all over the country. iTIS who supply the information use a number of different vehicles equipped with feedback systems (Floating Vehicle Data - see Here for a better description).

The response you were given was probably laughed at by second line support if it did indeed make it to them for consideration - Mike

Depends where you live...

If you live in Holland then it is entirely possible that the traffic data could be coming from Vodaphone. One of the new systems they informed us about at CeBIT this year was the collection of data from mobile phones. This would be triangulated using cell location technology and then overlaid on a digital map to determine the average speeds of traffic on major roads. It obviously wouldnt work in city centres, but on the motorways will give a pretty good indication of speeds.

It only works in active phone calls, with the theory being that if you are in a holdup you are more likely to use your phone to call ahead. There is talk of implementing this in the UK and the rest of europe, but it is far from round the corner at the moment.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Depends where you live...

Very true, but we are discussing a specific location at the end of the M55 motorway in Lancashire

rjgreaves wrote:
I get a 2min dalay which is shown on the M55 where it joins onto the M6 (J32) going eastbound. It happens every day on my way home from work, but there is never any traffic problem there. (it seems to be there all the time, but I just see at at 4pm)
- Mike
rjgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported this iTIS and didn't even get a reply....

Anyway, the latest rely from tomtom:

Quote:
We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department.

Please be patient and thank you for your query.

With Best Regards

TomTom Customer Support Team

be patient? its a year since I first reported this?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive sen this too on copilot could be the opertors server cacheing information it does happen occasionally

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: