Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Could use some help with Garmin 200
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Could use some help with Garmin 200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanselman_s
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Could use some help with Garmin 200 Reply with quote

Hello all, thanks for looking, hopefully someone can help me out,

I am new to this and received a Nuvi 660 for my birthday but traded it in on a 200. The 660 is awesome but I did not need all the bells and whistles. The 200 is awesome and I have found it to be very accurate. What I would like to know is what else can I do with this thing. I would think that if I wanted to use it on a golf course for yardages I should be able to and not have to buy another unit designed for that purpose. Also I am thinking I should be able to use it for fishing holes given the coordinates. The problem is I do not know how to go about this and would appreciate any guidance or links to sites that can help me out. I have downloaded the Garmin POI loader for Mac and the web updater. I have also downloaded the trial version of RouteBuddy but really don't know what the heck to do with it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, Scott.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200 isn't really desinged for what you are wanting, but then again few systems are.

For use when playing golf the inaccuracies of the GPS system will be a hinderance. On a good day with WAAS/EGNOS position correction working and a perfect satellite geometery your position will be +/- 5 metres at best. Generally you will be +/- 10-20 metres - which is not going to be a help when making club selection. Also use of such systems is prohibited within the rules of golf as an artificial aid. You do see them in use on courses during competitions as a method of recording the position of a players' ball - but this information isn't passed onto the player - they have their caddy - who will be much more accurate in yardage and club selection Laughing These systems usually rely on differential GPS which requires position correction information to be transmitted from a local station and received by a separate receiver. Accuracy of these systems is very good - good enough for surveying - but they would sure get in the way of playing golf!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: