Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantisv8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: TomTom 720 Reply with quote

Hi -I have just bought a TomTom 720 and wanted to add the spoken camera alerts - is this possible on this model please??? - I have tried to do it following the instructions on this site to no avail!!
IF it is possible - could someone please give me a step-by- step set of instructions on how to do it - ie - do I need the single, consolidated or speed zoned ogg files etc etc???

sorry if this is an old question - I am new to all this and very confused!!

Thanks in advance guys

RR
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the "Speed Zoned" database from PocketGPSWorld installed to the "Western_Europe" map folder.
In addition you need a set of corresponding ogg file placed into the same "Western_Europe" map folder, pre-configured and correctly named file sets of audio files can be obtained free from THIS Page, just select the set you want, I use the Liz voice as I find this the best, but each to their own.

Once the files are in place go to Change preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI and select the first speed camera POI in the list. set a distance for the warning to sound from when approaching the camera type, I use 200 yards for 20MPH, 500 yards for 50MPH and 700 yards for 70MPH - these are easy figures to remember - for mobiles add a little more distance though.
When the device states "Is This the sound you want to select" answer "YES" (even though the device has made no noise).

Set the warn only if POI on route as per your specific needs, if you select this and always have a route planned you will always get a warning, if you drive around without a route planned then it is best to leave this un-checked.

Repeat the above for each of the PGPSW speed cameras - note IF you answer "NO" to the question "Is This the sound you want to select" the device will lock up needing a reset - hope this helps - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When the device states "Is This the sound you want to select" answer "YES" (even though the device has made no noise).

mikealder wrote:
note IF you answer "YES" to the question "Is This the sound you want to select" the device will lock up needing a reset

Is this what you meant to say, Mike? It seems as if you're saying that following your instructions will cause the device to lock up. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple Typo now corrected - thanks - stupid of me though Embarassed Embarassed - Mike
mantisv8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: 720 Reply with quote

Many thanks Mike

As the 720 already has the speed cams on it, do I have to delete these first, (and if so - how)?? and if I dont will I get 'double' warnigs??

cheers mate
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of #13 (a or b) as to the removal of the TomTom Speed Camera database on the FAQ page which can be found Here - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Simple Typo now corrected - thanks - stupid of me though Embarassed Embarassed - Mike

Didn't mean to nit-pick, Mike, and sorry if it sounded like it, but I'm probably studying posts more closely than most. I'm trying to learn as much as I can while waiting for my 720 in the hope that I won't screw it up as soon as it arrives!
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita, I am sure you have read about the importance of a full back up and this must be highest on the list of things to do when it arrives, don't even consider loading Home to the PC or doing anything with the device until you have got the back up on the PC - if possible burn the back up from the PC to a DVD just in case the PC throws a sickie.

As for "Nit Picking" not at all, if advice is wrong then anyone is quite right to point out the error - wrong advice is worse than no advice at all in my opinion. I must learn to read twice before hitting the submit button!

Just off to write out my one hundred lines:

I must learn to read twice before hitting the submit button!

Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike, I have read about the need to back up before doing anything else.

But I seem to be having 'senior moments' more and more often, and it's easy to forget in the excitement of having a new 'toy' to play with, so I've set up a '3D text' screen saver saying 'Back up 720' to start after 1 minute of inactivity.

Hopefully the unit will arrive before the screen saver drives me completely mad!
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Thanks, Mike, I have read about the need to back up before doing anything else.

Let me just reiterate what Mike says - "Before anything else". With all my previous TTs, I've had to go through at least part of the setup routine before I could do backups, but with the 720, I merely had to sit it in the cradle, plug in the USB and let it charge for a little while (damned if I was going to leave it on charge for hours, though, it's far too pretty!). Then switched on and was able to do a full Windows Explorer backup even before I told it I was a lovely Aarrd Northerner, living down south.

Enjoy - I am.

PS If possible, load TT Home v1.6 from the CD and DO NOT let it install Home v2 - you heard it here first.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PS If possible, load TT Home v1.6 from the CD and DO NOT let it install Home v2 - you heard it here first.

Thanks, Dennis. I have seen that too, but it seems to be easy to inadvertently allow it to install Home v2, although I think I read you were able to uninstall it and reinstall v1.6 from the CD. I just hope the units being shipped now don't have v2 on the CD instead of v1.6.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, to get back to the original question, mantisv8 (and Anita if you're getting one too):
On the 520 or 720 you have the option of computer-generated "text to speech" voices (one ready installed and another on the CD).
If you are using one of those for your main navigation voice you can also use it for your speed camera warnings, instead of installing the ogg files.
You just type in what you want it to say.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy. That's worth knowing, as it could be an easier option to start with.
Samsung Galaxy S21
mantisv8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

Can you do this on the pre-installed cams on the 720 - or do you have to download the cams from this site? and where do you do the typing - sorree just lost the plot on this mate!!

Rod
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. For reasons best known to themselves, TomTom stopped using the "normal" POI system for their own cameras.
The way they do it now ONLY allows a single pre-set warning DISTANCE, and ONLY a single warning SOUND.
A backwards step, it would seem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: