Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - problams installing new POI's, map's and speed camera's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

problams installing new POI's, map's and speed camera's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
englishman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: problams installing new POI's, map's and speed camera's Reply with quote

Hi there every one, this is my 1st time using this forum.
Can some one please help me with 2No problam i'm having.
The 1st one is trying to load POIs onto my TOM TOM 300, i'm using the 5.440 map and a 512MB chip so i know i've got loads of space left.
When i look at whats on my chip through my computer i can see all of the POIs that came installed on the tom tom and the one ones that i've just downloaded from pocket GPS but once i put the chip back into my tom tom it shows all of the POIs that come already installed but only some of the newer ones.
The 2rd prob, is the reason i'm useing the 5.440 map and not a newer version is when i installed a newer version i could'nt get the traffic cameras to work on it.
As you might of guessed i'm no computer wizkid when it come's to this kind of thing, and this is the 1st time i've tryed to do anythink like this so please bear with me. thanks. here's hopeing.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome englishman - I'm a Yorkshireman myself, but I don't hold grudges! Very Happy

Here are a few thoughts for you...

1. The one most important thing you can ever do is make a BACKUP copy of your "chip" (- it's actually called an SD Card).

2. Newly added POIs have to be "Enabled" (activated) in order for them to be seen.

3. I think (not sure) that your version 5.440 software only allows a small number of POIs (39?). So any more than that wouldn't work anyway. Worse still, it's not always the last ones you installed that don't work.

4. Whenever you get a new map, the POIs have to be transferred to the new map folder.

OK. Now you can see a few areas you have to travel. Think about them and come back telling us where you want to be.
You may have given some slightly duff info above. Tap bottom right corner of the 300 and it'll say a version number. Tap that small box and it'll show a screen with loadsa information. When you come back, write all that info down and tell us what it is (EXCEPT don't publish the Device line).

Also, say what version of Windows you are running and do you know how to use Windows Explorer.

If you're lucky when you come back, Andy_P2002 will join in and sort you out - he's one of the GO300 maestros.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
englishman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN.
Thanks for the advice on what to do and how to go about it, i will try to sort it out now useing your help and i will get back to you to let you know how i get on.
It all seems so simple when its explaned like that.
I don't get a lot of time to go on line or to try to sort out my tom tom (work and family) but as soon as i've had a chance to try them out i'll get back to you. thanks again. Smile
DennisN wrote:
Welcome englishman - I'm a Yorkshireman myself, but I don't hold grudges! Very Happy

Here are a few thoughts for you...

1. The one most important thing you can ever do is make a BACKUP copy of your "chip" (- it's actually called an SD Card).

2. Newly added POIs have to be "Enabled" (activated) in order for them to be seen.

3. I think (not sure) that your version 5.440 software only allows a small number of POIs (39?). So any more than that wouldn't work anyway. Worse still, it's not always the last ones you installed that don't work.

4. Whenever you get a new map, the POIs have to be transferred to the new map folder.

OK. Now you can see a few areas you have to travel. Think about them and come back telling us where you want to be.
You may have given some slightly duff info above. Tap bottom right corner of the 300 and it'll say a version number. Tap that small box and it'll show a screen with loadsa information. When you come back, write all that info down and tell us what it is (EXCEPT don't publish the Device line).

Also, say what version of Windows you are running and do you know how to use Windows Explorer.

If you're lucky when you come back, Andy_P2002 will join in and sort you out - he's one of the GO300 maestros.
englishman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dennisN.
Ok i've made a start on trying to sort my tomtom out.
First off i've got myself a newer verson of the map,
APP 6.520 (7690/061002) OS:1387 29 MB RAM (free: 4.6 MB) GPS v1.21, boot 4.86 map: 'United kingdom and Republic of ireland v660.1199.
and i've made a back up of it before i did any think else.
I got it from my brothers newer model (tomtom one).
It seems to have loaded onto my tomtom ok and it has come with it's own POI's (51 categorys) which all work fine.
I have also downloaded some POI's categorys myself from the pocketgpsworld site (60 in total) and now i've hit another prob, they have come through as "ziped files" and yes you've guessed it i can't open them.
"I did'nt download the first lot POI's, some one did it for me"
It's been suggested that i download "winzip" as it's a free download, i've done this but i still can't open the files.
I would still like to load the speed and traffic cameras onto this map aswell, but will the SD card have enough memory it's a 512MB.
I'm running WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION 2002 verson. and yes i think i do know how to use windows explorer.
I hope i've given you all the info you will need up to this point.
So how am i doing, am i going in the right direction sofar. ??
Thanks for all your help with this again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just double click the file that you downloaded that contains the POI files, this will open the folder and alow you to extract the POI files.

With 512MB of SD card space available I wouldn't worry about running out of storage space, the POI files are very small - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

englishman wrote:

{snip}

Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
englishman wrote:

{snip}

Shocked

In case Andy is being too subtle ...

1. We disapprove quite strongly here of piracy and getting a copy from your brother's device is piracy.
2. Software copied from one device to a different one is not a good idea in case of compatibility problems.
3. At some point in the future, either your or your brother's device is going to stop working with the map as you can only register one map to one device.

Now, I happen to think you've done this in some innocence, so you don't at this stage qualify for my usual over the top clobbering for piracy. Please put the situation right by buying your own map from Tom Tom. Yes, we'd all like the map updates to be free or megga cheap, but you can't go getting them by copying from somebody else - that's naughty, just like copying CDs etc.

englishman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennisN
I'M SO SORRY.
I can see now that i've done a bad/stupid thing here.
I did in fact get the map in all innocence.
First off, if i had truly known that what i was doing was wrong from the start i would'nt have done it and secondly if i had known it was wrong i would'nt have mentioned the fact that i got it from my "brother" on this forum, that's how niave i am on these matters i did'nt even know about the possible compatibility problems or the fact that you had to register the map, so it seems there was no point doing it in the first place, it would just cause more problems than it's worth.
AS OF NOW THE MAP AND THE BACK UP COPY ARE GONE.
I've just read through my last message again knowing now what i know about the rights and wrongs of piracy "HOW STUPID DO'ES IT SOUND" what an idiot.
Once again i apologise.
I'm now going onto the tomtom website to try to download the UK MAP that i need.
Hopefully i can get back to you when i get the new map installed. Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good to be right for once - I just KNEW you were doing it in innocence. How much better to find you responding in this manner. It seems even Englishmen get it right some of the time!

Reminder of instructions ...

1. Backup your SD card - use Windows Explorer, set to show all files and extensions.
2. Download the cameras and unzip the contents - You don't need Winzip for this - all you do is (in Win Explorer) double click the filename and it'll show a window which includes "Extract all files", click that and it'll happen.
3. Copy the extracted files ending .bmp and .ov2 into your device's map folder.
4. "Enable" the new cameras and set warning distances and sounds for them.

The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

I think that the way you put that point was very constructive, concise and

informative with out being heavy handed.

Nice one Dennis

Jerry
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Oh Gee!

englishman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last i'm up and running.
The maps been downloaded (from tomtom) and working, POIs are now unziped and loaded and the speed cameras too.
I can't thank you enough for all your help on this matter, you have saved me hours of head scratching and shouting at my tomtom.
To all who replyed to me on this matter with help and advise,
Thank you all. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

englishman wrote:
At last i'm up and running.

Congratulations. Bouncing Clap Clap NOW DO ANOTHER BACKUP (using Windows Explorer).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: