Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom on HP 5550 IPAQ
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom on HP 5550 IPAQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbarrett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom on HP 5550 IPAQ Reply with quote

I have an HP 5550 IPaq with a version of Tom Tom on which works just great. I bought it secondhand about 3 years ago with Tomtom already on on and (you guessed it) no CD or any other info. Now, I find that the road network has left me behind. Question is....how do I find out what version of everything I have got (Tomtom / maps etc) , where do I buy new maps and how do I know which ones to buy. Incidentally, I did try to add a Belgian map (I have UK, FRance and Spain on at present) and although it seemed to go on, the new map did not appear in the 'Change Map' menu.

Please answer in 'I am talking to an idiot' mode.

Any help or advice or pointers gratefully received.

Bob Barrett
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom on HP 5550 IPAQ Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Your version of TomTom Navigator will probably be version 2 or 3, if it’s about three years old.

If it’s version 2 or 3:
Tap on the white triangle (top left-hand side) ¦ Map ¦ File ¦ About

If it’s version 5 onwards:
Tap on the Sat signal strength bar ¦ Tap on the version square to give you full details

If you want the up-to-date maps then you’ll need TomTom Navigator version 6, which will probably work OK on your HP 5550 iPAQ.

To be honest it’s probably best, as you appear to have need for several European countries, to go and buy a new TomTom 720 PND (Personal Navigation Device)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
rbarrett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Robert (Privateer)

Many thanks for that. Just knowing where to look has enabled me to discover I have Version 3. I use the PDA for other things as well so having Tomtom on it saves extra gadgets although, looking at the spec of the 720, it is formidable. Not too dear either.

Having said that, I am happy using the HP5550 and it is wired up with an extra speaker and dash mount so if I can just update the maps it may be for the best all round economy and use.

Would I have to buy the new Tomton version 6 complete with maps, wipe the program and install afresh or can I just buy maps and add or update them as I wish? As they are not particularly cheap, I don't want to buy the wrong thing. I've looked on the Tomtom site and it is not clear to me what you need.

Thanks again.

Bob Barrett
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

TomTom produce a memory card (SD I think) that includes the TomTom Navigator 6 software and maps of Western Europe, for £107.26 RRP, have a look here for further details. Have a look at our advertisers.

If you still want to use the 5550, then I’d made sure that you made a full back up of it using a decent product such as Sprite Backup, backup to you memory card. Then fully backup your memory card to your PC and then burn a copy to CD/DVD. Remove the TomTom Navigator software and install the new software. NB the 5550 is probably not on the approved list of devices for Navigator 6.

I retired my iPAQ 3970 from SatNav duties a long time ago. I now use a few HP iPAQ 2210s (which are now considered ancient) for SatNav. In addition I use a TomTom ONE NE Europe with Navteq maps for use in Jersey, Channel Islands.

It’s probably time to take stock and decide whether you keep with the iPAQ 5550 (which is getting old) or buy a new TomTom 720 PND which runs version 7 of the software.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: