Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 & GPRS Traffic Changes, Higher data volumes....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 & GPRS Traffic Changes, Higher data volumes....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: 720 & GPRS Traffic Changes, Higher data volumes.... Reply with quote

I'm using the dialup traffic service, and have it set to check for traffic updates every 5 minutes, but I have noticed a change in the way traffic is working on the new 720.

Before TomTom used to dialup and download the whole of the UK's traffic data which I sometimes thought was a waste, maybe a 100mile radius from your current position would have been better.

What I noticed whilst driving through Milton Keynes is the traffic is updated every time you go off the planned route and a new route is calculated regardless of the time period. This was resulting in constant traffic updates as I know a better route through Milton Keynes, and the end result will be higher data volumes & charges.

I'm not sure if this has been fixed in the 7.10 update?
Esparkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it anything to do with the settings in the Traffic Preferences? Possibly the "Ask for traffic updates when preparing a route"? I assume that if you go off route, it will automatically get the traffic info when it automatically prepares the new route for you. I.e. this option forces it to get traffic info even if there's been no changes to the traffic situation.

Just a thought. As the 720 is my first Sat Nav, I couldn't say whether this was different in the earlier versions.

Mark
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 & GPRS Traffic Changes, Higher data volumes.... Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Why would it be fixed? - it's not a fault in my view. If you go off route and get a recalculated one, you need to check if the traffic situation is different for your new route. Normal computer logic is - new route = new traffic possibilities = recheck for problems. If YOU know your route through Milton Keynes and TT doesn't, you don't need the TT traffic info, especially since TT doesn't know where you're going. If TT's routing tells you to turn left and you turn right or go straight on, TT's traffic information is all to pot.

PS Do you think updating traffic every 5 minutes is useful? Radio 5 live does it every 30. Seems to me you're simply handing free money to your service provider.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 720 & GPRS Traffic Changes, Higher data volumes.... Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:
Why would it be fixed? - it's not a fault in my view. If you go off route and get a recalculated one, you need to check if the traffic situation is different for your new route. Normal computer logic is - new route = new traffic possibilities = recheck for problems. If YOU know your route through Milton Keynes and TT doesn't, you don't need the TT traffic info, especially since TT doesn't know where you're going. If TT's routing tells you to turn left and you turn right or go straight on, TT's traffic information is all to pot.

PS Do you think updating traffic every 5 minutes is useful? Radio 5 live does it every 30. Seems to me you're simply handing free money to your service provider.

I don't think Traffic is very logical, it used to just download all incidents for the UK and not the ones on you planned route. Therefore if TomTom has downloaded all incidents or lets say, all incidents within 15miles of your current position, why reload if you go off route by 1 road, and end up back on the original route? You already have the required data on the device.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 720 & GPRS Traffic Changes, Higher data volumes.... Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
why reload if you go off route by 1 road, and end up back on the original route? You already have the required data on the device.
Computer logic, Mr Spock? Hey I don't know, I'm just an old man who still believes in the tooth fairy and helping old men across the road (that's you helping me, not me helping them!!). My total computing knowledge in this area is the computer does what it's told, not what it should do if it had the brains. Tell it simply "When you recalculate a route, recheck traffic information", that's what it'll do. You could put in a filter saying not to do so if the route changed by less than a total of say 1 mile, but that could get it horribly wrong - you must know a route where you could travel either side of a river or railway for decent distances, with overall distances negligibly different. But a traffic jam on the one you chose would give you grief. I dunno, ask somebody intelligent, not me. Confused Get onto Tom Tom and tell them to stop pinching pennies and install an intelligent spider inside the 720, not a simpleton.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: