Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speedcamera alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speedcamera alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: speedcamera alerts Reply with quote

I have just loaded pgpsw database on to myguide3100 and I went on a test drive to see if I would get any speedcamera alerts. I can now see camera icons on the maps but I get no warning of the existence.I have enabled the speedcam alerts on my device through the settings icon and changed the mode to alert me when approaching a speedcamera but is not doing so.

Is this how its supposed to work or is there something else I need to do.

Thanks
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find you only get a warning if you are over the speed limit. Try it, go past a 30mph camera, at 60mph, see if it alerts you, Joker Seriously, I think it should work if you are 5mph or so over, go slightly over the limit and see if it works, then break.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: speedcamera alerts Reply with quote

I read in one of the forums that their is supposed to be an audible beeping sound as you approach the camera. I have attached the post below from one of the forums........................................

"Hi, the 3100 i have is a brilliant unit, very fast at route calculations and off track re-routing. The interface is clear with a lot of options not even fount in TomTom or Garmin.
Basically the mapping software is Igo which is very reliable, and the safety cameras are easy to install and give a visual and audible warning right up to the camera."...................

Back to my question, are you saying you only get an audible sound when you exceed the speed limit. Myguide 3100 has speed warning capabilities which I have enabled. It tells me when I am over the speed limit

What does your device do when approaching a camera. Do you just get a visual alert or what audible sound do you hear. I would have thought that you get warned about speedcams before you approach them and not when you have driven past them. That I think would be too late.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With iGO, which appears to be almost identical to MyGuide 3100, there is a choice of two alerts, Simple and when approaching. If I approach a camera and it's on my side of the road, say at 35 or 36 in a 30 limit, I get a warning sound and a visual alert showing 29mph (why 29 I don't know but same for the higher ones e.g. 39 for 40, 49 for 50). As I slow down to the limit the 'warning' decreases until I get an audible 'beep - - - beep' and the countdown bar across the top, until I've passed the camera.

Quote:
Myguide 3100 has speed warning capabilities which I have enabled. It tells me when I am over the speed limit

Oh I see what you've done. Go to Settings - General - tap on Alerts and look down the screen below Warn when speeding, and Enable Safety Cameras. Choose your Alert 'When Approaching' or 'Simple'.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: speedcamera alerts Reply with quote

I have done this........I went to ... Warn when speeding, and Enabled Safety Cameras. I Chose your Alert 'When Approaching' but heard nothing .All I see is the camera icon.

The speed warning is also on the same page as the camera alert and i have enabled this also.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry when you said
Quote:
Back to my question, are you saying you only get an audible sound when you exceed the speed limit. Myguide 3100 has speed warning capabilities which I have enabled. It tells me when I am over the speed limit
I misunderstood.

Quote:
I have done this........I went to ... Warn when speeding, and Enabled Safety Cameras. I Chose your Alert 'When Approaching' but heard nothing .All I see is the camera icon.

The speed warning is also on the same page as the camera alert and i have enabled this also.

If you've done all that then you will find you should get an audible warning and visual alert if you are approaching a speed camera and are over the speed limit. And the camera is on your side of the road. Unless it's a bi-directional camera where you will get an alert whichever way you are travelling. The 'When Approaching' setting you will not miss because it's quite loud and sounds 'urgent'.[/quote]

In 'fast' flyover mode you get no camera icons or warnigs, and in normal fly over you get camera icons but no warnings. You must be out on the road to test it.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: speedcamera alerts Reply with quote

Pls see next post

Last edited by Buffdaddy on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: speedcamera alerts Reply with quote

I was on the road testing it this morning. I selected Alert 'When Approaching' and heard nothing. Could it be that there was no sound because I was within the speed limit. If I am clear about what you and a few others have written in their posts, audible warnings will only sound when you are above the speed limit .

Meaning that if you are within the speed limit , you hear nothing.

Is the visual alert I get a speedcam icon or something else?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meaning that if you are within the speed limit , you hear nothing.

Is the visual alert I get a speedcam icon or something else?

Yes, you only get a warning if approaching over the speed limit.

I don't get the alert often and only glance at the screen, but its like a speed limit sign which flashes up in the centre of the screen with the speed limit shown. I've seen 29, 39 and 49, so for some reason it shows 1 mph under the actual limit. It also appears the faster you are going, the sooner you get the alert. You also get the 'countdown' bar moving across the top of the screen as you get nearer the camera, as when you approach the next left or right indicated turn.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: speedcamera alerts Reply with quote

.I have never seen a speedlimit sign appear on my screen when driving towards a speedcam. I guess i was well within the speed limit.

THanks for all the help.

By the way, from the information you have been feeding me, it appears you are using a pda and not a pna. Am I correct
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, from the information you have been feeding me, it appears you are using a pda and not a pna. Am I correct

I have a Mio P350 but reading through the MyGuide 3100 Manual, the instructions are virtually identical to the iGO and Mio ones.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: