Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - German speed-cam warnings ! Do not 'synchonise'!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

German speed-cam warnings ! Do not 'synchonise'!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: German speed-cam warnings ! Do not 'synchonise'! Reply with quote

If you value your German and Austrian speed-cam warnings
DO NOT NOW
use Mio ‘Synchronise’

Today, I, and no doubt all other subscribers, received a Mio email

“Dear client,

Due to legal restrictions concerning speedcam warnings in Germany and Austria, Mio Technology has decided to remove all speedcams located in Germany and Austria from the speedcam database. From now on, it is no longer possible to download speedcam warnings in Germany and Austria.

Sincerely,

Mio Technology Europe”

Unfortunately I had already ‘synchronised’ today (20/04/07) before receiving the mail.
I now find, in so far as I can tell, that the German speed–cam locations known to me, have been removed from my C710.
If this is so, I consider it to be a serious blow to the device’s value.
Does anyone know what legal imperative required Mio to do this?
Does anyone know if other providers have acted similarly?

Yet another benefit of European 'integration'?
(I don’t think there is an emoticon for ‘heavy irony’)

I do hope I'm wrong but it seems that German and Austrian speed camera notification is now lost to us along with those in Switzerland.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it's legislation in these countries - well outside the control of Mio.

Don't forget though when you say "If this is so, I consider it to be a serious blow to the device’s value." that any other device locating speed cams will also be affected by such legislation.

Furthermore, if you're caught using a device to detect speed cameras in a country where such devices have been outlawed, you could be liable to prosecution - and, in that respect, Mio are safeguarding its users from this by removing this facility from their devices.
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GPS_fan,
I accept what you say in general but in your last paragraph you use the word ‘detectors’ but of course a MioC710 is not a detector.
Looking for an authoritative opinion on these matters I recently pressed Michelin (who I thought should know) for their understanding on the uncertain camera situation in France.
These are their replies (after an immediate acknowledgement and two days delay only, Mio please note):

Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin products and activities.
In reply to your email we let you know that the legal department said that the Speed Cameras locations are available for the public in France.
Therefore, everyone can use them and indicate them in any software.
The ViaMichelin GPS system DOES NOT DETECT speed cameras.
We hope that we have answered your request, and are at your disposal should you have any other suggestions or questions.
Yours faithfully,
Ted”

And after my request for further clarification with regard to Switzerland:

“Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin products and activities.
Further to your email we can let you know that it is legal to have fix speed camera data in your device in France and other Europeans countries. You can download it from your account on the viamichelin website.
Regarding the Switzerland legislation it is not allowed to have this information and may lead to confiscation of the device, that's why it's not available in our website.
We hope that we have answered your request, and are at your disposal should you have any other suggestions or questions.
Yours faithfully,
Camille
- Customer Relations Department –“

This is why I wondered if there was anyone with actual knowledge of the new Austrian and German implementation.
I would like to be sure that, unlike Michelin, Mio had not just rolled over ‘to be on the safe side’!

I have not yet investigated Michelin’s response to the Austro/German development .
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry GPS_fan,
you didn't use the word 'detectors'.
My error.
Put it down to poetic licence.
Regards,
Ticklepin
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ticklepin,

I was going to use the word 'locator', but thought "detector" may be more appropriate - seemingly not.

Anyway, as far as I understand it, Switzerland and now Germany & Austria have banned the use of ANY DEVICE which tells a driver where a speed camera is located.

In France (and other countries), RADAR speed camera detectors have been banned for some time.

In the UK, there is talk of banning RADAR detectors - but GPS locators are alleged to remain legal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: German speed-cam warnings ! Do not 'synchonise'! Reply with quote

ticklepin wrote:
If you value your German and Austrian speed-cam warnings
DO NOT NOW
use Mio ‘Synchronise’

Today, I, and no doubt all other subscribers, received a Mio email

“Dear client,

Due to legal restrictions concerning speedcam warnings in Germany and Austria, Mio Technology has decided to remove all speedcams located in Germany and Austria from the speedcam database. From now on, it is no longer possible to download speedcam warnings in Germany and Austria.

Sincerely,

Mio Technology Europe”

Unfortunately I had already ‘synchronised’ today (20/04/07) before receiving the mail.
I now find, in so far as I can tell, that the German speed–cam locations known to me, have been removed from my C710.
If this is so, I consider it to be a serious blow to the device’s value.
Does anyone know what legal imperative required Mio to do this?
Does anyone know if other providers have acted similarly?

Yet another benefit of European 'integration'?
(I don’t think there is an emoticon for ‘heavy irony’)

I do hope I'm wrong but it seems that German and Austrian speed camera notification is now lost to us along with those in Switzerland.

Not synching would only have delayed the inevitable - every Miomap application update includes the base speedcam database. In other words if you want to update Miomap (at some point in the future) you will cease to have the Swiss, German and Austrian camera locations.

It does take value from the device though. Aren't there third party databases available though?

http://www.scdb.info/en/software-plugins/

Doesn't seem to support Mitac devices ;-(
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody got any more confirmation of the speed camera situation in Austria and Germany?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Has anybody got any more confirmation of the speed camera situation in Austria and Germany?

Nope, can't find anything - not even in German. Other companies still seem to be providing the updates.

Btw, where did you get your C310x from?
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Btw, where did you get your C310x from?

Frys.com. Got it sent to a hotel in the states.
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: German Speed-Cam Warnings - Do not synchronise! Reply with quote

Copy of correspondence of 20/04/07 between me and ViaMichelin, and their, carefully worded, response of today 23/04/07.

"Dear Camille,
Thank you for your email of 10/04/07 in response to my enquiry of 9/04/07

However, since then, there seems to have been a further development; now Austria and Germany are alleged to have banned speed camera location information on Sat-nav devices.

Can you confirm that this is the situation, or have they merely banned speed camera DETECTORS?

Best regards,”

Michelin’s response

"Dear Sir

Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin products and activities.

Further to your email we can let you know that Viamichelin is no longer offering Germany speed camera file. Regarding Austria we can let you know that the speed camera file are still available in our website.

Yours faithfully,

- Customer Relations Department -

Wherever you're going, go ViaMichelin.”

So, what do we make of that?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....but I guess it's only a matter of time before the other manufacturers follow - and then more countries

....a vicious circle

At the end of the day, if you don't speed you won't get caught - no matter whose GPS system you have in your car
Raciniewo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database Mio C710 Reply with quote

This is my first posting as a Mio C710 user and an Ex-pat living in Poland. I too was surprised when Mio withdrew their Speed Camera data for Germany as I we travel frequently to Germany and often at night where we appreciated the information about cameras as it is often difficult to establish where and when the speed limit changed.

For me the Speed Camera Database (SCDB) was a useful source of information but the immortal words of GPS_fan "At the end of the day, if you don't speed you won't get caught - no matter whose GPS system you have in your car" got right up my nose!

It is obvious that an SCDB is not needed by drivers who are able to maintain perfect and consistant speed whatever the traffic conditions. Far better to join a convoy of drivers travelling well below the speed limit causing frustration and desperation mile after mile!.

After all local drivers know where their cameras are and can go as fast as they like in between cameras knowing they won't get caught! I am not one of them so the advice from GPS_fan sounds pompous when most law abiding people want information to avoid exceeding the speed limit
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Database Mio C710 Reply with quote

Raciniewo wrote:
but the immortal words of GPS_fan "At the end of the day, if you don't speed you won't get caught - no matter whose GPS system you have in your car" got right up my nose!

I am not one of them so the advice from GPS_fan sounds pompous when most law abiding people want information to avoid exceeding the speed limit

Sadly, truth hurts and whilst you might not like my comment, it still holds true.

I notice that you haven't picked up on any of my other comments about GPS only being a tool, or that if all the computers in the world crash, the sun will still rise in the morning.

PLUS, you're making a rather fundamental assumption that the speed LIMIT and speed CAMERA data is correct and in my experience, the speed LIMIT information is far from accurate. This being the case, it isn't likely to be much help for telling a user when the speed limit changes and/or what it changes to, so this tool may not even be much help to you after all, no matter whether people's comments get up your nose.

We're all entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean that anybody is necessarily either right or wrong - just a different viewpoint.

If you want to keep your licence clean, you could always stay at home - not a particularly good suggestion, but you've already decided to take a disliking to me and what gives you the right to go calling people "pompous" when you don't have a ******* clue who you're talking about or their background
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me the Speed Camera Database (SCDB) was a useful source of information but the immortal words of GPS_fan "At the end of the day, if you don't speed you won't get caught - no matter whose GPS system you have in your car" got right up my nose!
Why?

Quote:
It is obvious that an SCDB is not needed by drivers who are able to maintain perfect and consistant speed whatever the traffic conditions.
As in competent drivers?

Quote:
Far better to join a convoy of drivers travelling well below the speed limit causing frustration and desperation mile after mile!.

Maybe the one in front has only recently passed their test, maybe they are driving to road conditions, unfamiliar with the area or within the capabilities of their vehicle.

Quote:
After all local drivers know where their cameras are and can go as fast as they like in between cameras knowing they won't get caught!

My observations are that these nutters are few and far between and not many exceed the speed limit by more than 10mph or so.

So if I'm in an unfamiliar area and I'm being chased by a 'local', should I speed up, exceed the speed limit, and chance getting points because I don't know where the cameras are, only to find 'local' has slowed for the camera and Nil points?

I'm with GPS_fan, sorry if your nose is now well and truly blocked. Very Happy
barry23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to this older brain that the speed camera warnings are no different to the 'warning' signs put up by authorities that 'speed cameras operate in this area' or no different to a 'low bridge warning' - obviously not a safety based decision just revenue based.

Next thing the accountants will do is disable the excess speed alert tones in the car's dashboard - because we shouldn't be speeding!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: