Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman icn510 updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman icn510 updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Navman icn510 updates Reply with quote

Hi. This is my first message.
I have a Navman icn510 which is about 3 years old (bought it from my other halfs son for £50) and I don't think it has ever been updated, so I am apparently driving 'off road' some of the time!
What's the best way to update and will it update speed cameras at the same time?
Any help/advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi smitch

Welcome to the forum. I assume you are looking to update the maps on you 510, which you will find can be bought directly from but not limited to Teleatlas who make the maps. It will set you back about 100 quid but don't expect the maps to be bang upto date. as they will always be about a year behind any new additions to the road network.

As for speed cameras, the icn510 will allow you to add custom poi's, which means you can download the speed camera database from here for your machine. The gps device will not automatically update the speed cameras itself so you would still need to return here peridically to update your lists.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally recommend that you sell your old unit and update to a newer model, as this is usually a cheaper option than spending 100 quid upgrading the maps and software, there are other posts that go into the details of this recommendation.

The maps fro the 510 are only avalible from Navman and authorised resellers. Don't be conned into buying something off ebay - it won't work, the maps are well protected from copying. And as mostdom said - don't expect too much from an update (or a new unit). They are better, but worth the cost - questionable.
dedrakid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with respect to the above poster, I had a 510 until I sold it recently-- I bought complete 2006 street level maps for western europe (including UK) from an ebay seller for £14.99 delivered-- they worked faultlessly-- my previous 2004 maps had also come from ebay,for about £10, and again were flawless ( i have navigated throughout UK and France using both sets of maps over several years now).. if you pm me, i will supply the seller details.

Strangely, i also recently "took a gamble" and purchased genuine Navman map CDs for my icn520 from an ebay seller, half expecting that they would not work due to Navman's claims of licensing making the maps usable on one machine only-- they too worked faultlessly on my 520-- was I just lucky??

To update the operating system of the 510, you would need a copy of SmartST2005v3.5-- but to install that would then render the maps for the icn510 as above useless, and require that you bought only ST2005 maps in the future, so i'd leave it alone. Smart Stv3 maps seem much more readily available from ebay.

when you install the smartSTv3.0 desktop on your Pc and hook up the machine, it will tell you if software updates are available, and refer you to a link-- I think it is for Patcher80.exe or something similar.

Hope this helps
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very surprised they have managed to crack Navmans key codes. You have probably been a bit lucky with your Ebay dealings.

Do you relaise you are stealing these maps, which Navman and TA own the copyright to? Don't know about you but I have an moral objection to stealing other peoples property. Have you thought about this?

Be aware that offering information as to how to achive the theift of copyrighted material is against forum policy.
dedrakid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello robertn

well, several issues there:

1) I personally am stealing nothing-- these maps are advertised as being from open source origins, ie NOT Navman, so I do not have reason to believe the vendor to be stealing anything either--- they are embedded with STv3 navigation software and work faultlessly.

2)Morality issues: generally, i am very pleased with Navman, their service has been good, but they,i feel, intentionally try to bamboozle their public re licences of after sales maps, ie i'm STILL unsure whether a set of maps will work on only ONE machine once installed and, as the ST desktop says,"registered", and with vague terms like "europe maps" for which you need to search the small print to discover whether it can be read to mean either full street level or simply basemap.I bought a brand new 510 for £300 only 2 yrs ago,now available at a fraction of the price, have since bought a second hand,as new, 520 for £77, and just recently bought an as new F20 europe with T1 for £165. My personal issue would be the Navman asking price of £99 for 3xCDs of maps (or for 1xSD card in the case of the F20), whilst the same maps can be bundled for only £40 in the F20 Europe for example.
i considered a 530, but after reading dozens of apparently contradictory reports, I STILL could not decide categorically whether, having bought this supposedly fully euro-mapped machine, I might have to buy additional licence codes from Navman to unlock each region at £49 a time!!-- so, i didn't buy a 530.
3) ebay dealings--- I bought the genuine 520 maps, half expecting that they would NOT work on my 520, if they had already been used on another machine, as the previous owner led me to believe was the case-- as per Navman's assertion that these maps will work on only one machine I was therefore surprised to find they DID work-- and this only adds to the confusion I discussed in (2) above.
3)(a) as an experiment, i bought genuine 530 map CDs from ebay, never used/installed, to try to put onto my 520, but they were incompatible-- not all experiments work!
3)(b) I do not seek to assist another, requesting advice on this forum, in copyright theft-- I offered to ensure that he would get the benefit of my experience in having purchased fully working non-navman maps from a reliable,reputable dealer,rather than trawl through the many confusing ads to be found there-- I bought some of the "unlock" software, so i could use tomtom maps, but like many have found the conversion difficult, and unreliable,-- i have also requested clarification of many ebay sellers as to the genuineness or otherwise of goods purporting to be "navman", and also of many sellers with VERY confusing explanations of VeRO.

I trust this will satisfy you and elevate me back to the moral high ground!?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that smitch has only recently bought this second hand GPS device, and for 50 squid a fair deal. Add on to this the price of up to 100 quid makes the whole package reasonable.

He could spash out a bit more and get a brand new machine with all the bells and whisles, but the maps may not be much better and would have then waisted his 50 quid, but would get the new features.

My conclutions is the secondhand GPS market is where the official addon maps have value, regardless as to the source, but be careful as you can easily get ripped of on ebay as we have seen many times before. If you don't know what you are doing then my recomendation is don't.

edit. I have edited my post as after reading mafts warning my advice may not read as intended. Alerations in red.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Last edited by mostdom on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dedrakid : - Several things for you and any other posters to remember

1) As far as I am aware there are no sources of "open Source" maps. Just because you have been assured that there are, does not make it so. The difficulties in collecting this data (accurately) mean there are only 2 suppliers in the world of any significance. Please eprovide details oft he Open Source Licence and/or copyright notice on the maps you have obtained. We would all love to have access to this project so we can contribute and make it even better.

2) Navman Maps are proprietory format, just like all the other manufacturers. Pleas eprovide details of the open souce project that has reversed engineered the Navman Map format, and the sourced accurate map data from non copyrighted sources. Again, I would love to make contributions to this project

3) Navman states that maps are only licensd to use on one device. They have a protection scheme to prevent mass coping of data. Maybe the scheme allows more than one device to use the maps, but I expect it would be 2, 3 or 4. I know from a fact that PDA users have been able to upgrade their PDA and keep using the software, and I also know Navman Technical support can do stuff to make keys work again if they are blocked - One example was a poster who had change PDA's numerous times.
Regardless of your ablilty to do this, you are still breaching the terms and conditions of the licence and therefore using the maps illegally if they are installed on more than one device.

My attack is not personal - I wish to convey to the community the issue of copyright protection, and the legality of these things. I doubt very much the maps you have obtained from eBay are legal, but I can not prove it.

What I ask you, is would you be prepared to have your system examined by a forensic expert in Interlectual propertly law? Are you certain you are squeaky clean?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very dubious... keeping my eye on this thread - please make sure there are no links or offers of illegal maps.

so far this is basically a discussion of whether or not a map is pirated so is ok but the moment any such maps are offered the thread will be locked.

be careful ;)

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: