Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Home won't recognise TT Go 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Home won't recognise TT Go 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b17flyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Home won't recognise TT Go 720 Reply with quote

I have followed the installation instructions for TomTom Home and the TT 720 but when I "connect to PC" with the TT Go 720, although Windows recognises the connection and lets me 'browse' the contents of the SD card (seems to see the TT as an SD card reader), TomTom Home says that I don't have a compatible TomTom device connected so I can do nothing at all with TomTom Home!

Any ideas how I can get TT Home to recognised the TT Go 720?

Can't lodge a support call with TT as the 720 isn't in their support menu and their support request says the product code (from the unit itself) is invalid cos it should be 12 digits, not 8!!!!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, download and instal the latest version of TomTom Home from the TomTom web site then try again, make sure you are plugging the device into a USB connection on the PC NOT via a hub or monitor mounted socket.

The Product code is something we used to have with version 6 and earlier, there is no product code with the 720, the device code which is what you have tried is a different code all together, interesting point though re support as the 720 decices don't have a product code. You could allways try phoning TomTom support though - Mike
b17flyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Have used both the version of TT Home on the installation CD and the version downloaded from the TT website today and niether are working. Am running it all on a laptop and connection is directly to the USB port, not via hub.
Brainwash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT Home has some bugs where it does behave incorrect in case a SD card is present, is it in your case ? If so : remove the SD card, put the TT device on the mount, switch on the device, select run TT Home from the windows popup, logon bottom left and then you should be able to do what you want...
mrlownotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.........my new 720 has decided it doesn't want to play ball with TTHome if there is an SD card installed. It was working fine, no problem, the last two days. Otherwise Home seems OK. Haven't bothered with downloading Tomtom site version of Home as it is out-of-date. The version supplied with 720 is 1.6 Build 020. The website download is 5.5 something or other.
If I remove the SD card Home sees the 720.
Oh why oh why oh why.
Hmmm.........might try a better quality SD card. The one I'm using is a cheapy from 'Staples'.
Watch this space.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that when you connect to the PC, a 720 (even without a card in the slot) is new seen as TWO drives, the internal flash and the external slot, and the slot is first alphabetically.
Just an observation really, don't know if it is relevant to your problem! Embarassed
perky77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop doesn't recognise my 720 either despite several restarts and reinstalling, plus i don't have an SD card

Anybody resolved this??
b17flyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some feedback on this problem (which I now seemed to have solved, but not sure how!):-

- It makes no difference with mine whether the SD card is present or not (I am using a SanDisk Extreme III 2.0GB SD Card FYI)

- After spending hours cleaning the registry, reinstalling etc etc (all to no avail) it eventually worked when I did the following:
1) Dock 720 in the Home Cradle and connect to the USB port on the laptop whilst the laptop is SWITCHED OFF
2) Switch on the 720 and wait for it to start up (at this point it is not connected to a PC as far as it is concerned)
3) Switch on the laptop and as it starts booting the 720 recognises USB power and asks you if you want to connect to PC - confirm 'YES'
4) Let the laptop finish booting up and the TomTom 720 finish its connecting routine
5) TomTom HOME does NOT start automatically on my system (even though it runs in the background on startup and I have the option ticked for it to open on connection to the device)
6) Open TomTom Home and Lo and Behold, it recognises that it is there!!!

For info if anyone else is trying this, I am running a HP/Compaq nx6310 laptop with XP SP2 running.

However, I have now discovered a new problem/bug - TT Home says there are loads of safety camera updates available and asks if I want to download them, however when I confirm 'Yes' it then gives me an error saying the file I am trying to download is not there!!!! (SO HOW DID IT KNOW THERE WAS AN UPDATE THERE THEN???)

Hey Ho!!! Onwards and Upwards!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: