Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom xl europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom xl europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LARGER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: tomtom xl europe Reply with quote

Good morning all. I am new here today and if the answer to my question could be found elsewhere I apologise in advance, but has anyone got experience with tomtom one Xl Europe and does it work without an external aerial with a heat reflectice windscreen. (Renault van) Halfords placed a Garmin 310d in the van and it found the satellites OK.

Best regards..........Larger.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, have a read of the One XL review Here Tim tried using the device in a car with athermic glass and it worked fine, you will find the exact details in the write up - Mike
pilk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: western europe map updates Reply with quote

hi, new boy as well! just put the latest speed camera database on my one xl. this all looks good when i browse the uk. however, i am in spain at the moment and it seems to have deleted all the spanish speed cameras that were on it by default. can i get them back?! thatīs why i bought the europe version!
thanks..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have installed the Pocket GPS World database and at the same time removed the TomTom files?
If you have made a day one back up prior to removing the TT camera files you can copy them back to the map folder - Mike
pilk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: europe speed cameras Reply with quote

thanks for that. the table for the tomtom one shows that i can choose Home in the drop down to download the cameras. however, in the drop down there you only get the uk cameras. i had to go to the dropdown for ov2 to get all the choices, including the euro cameras. i also seem to be more successful installing the cameras via copy and paste, as they donīt appear in the Home software once iīve unzipped them into the contents folder in the preferences. perhaps i have to stop and restart my one xl unit. anyway, i got there in the end, thanks to your help. i didnīt realise i had to delete the tomtom ones first either. i think i might do a backup now ;)
LARGER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: western europe map updates Reply with quote

Hi Pilk. If I buy the 'One' I would wish to site it on a 'shelf' in front of the radio in my van. I know it would fit there and get a signal. What I don't know is are there any oulets/connections on the base or back which prevent me from doing this? Some dealers can be quite unhelpful as if you are going to grab the thing and run out of the shop. Cheers, LARGER!
pilk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: connections on back of tt one xl Reply with quote

Hi Larger, There are a couple of connections on the unit. thereīs a slot for an sd card on the underside and the main power cable socket (mini usb i think) next to it. there is also a further socket which i donīt recognise on the underneath. it only comes with a car charger, though the mains adaptor from my pda has the same connection and works fine if i want to charge it at home. internal battery seems to last about two hours.
The connections on the underside should not be a problem as you can mount the whole unit UPSIDE DOWN and choose īturn screen upside downīin the preferences.
there is a further connection on the back of the unit which i think may either be for an additional antenna extension in case your windscreen causes problems, or it might be something to do with connecting it to your phone so you can download traffic updates. thatīs one of the extras you can pay for. iīm just using the basic setup and i love it!!
All the best.
LARGER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: connections on back of tt one xl Reply with quote

pilk wrote:
Hi Larger, There are a couple of connections on the unit. thereīs a slot for an sd card on the underside and the main power cable socket (mini usb i think) next to it. All the best.

Thanks for the info. Regards. L.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a search for a Brodit Active mount for the device, then match the Pro Clip for you car and mounting position - a much better solution than the supplied mount, and a number of different mounting positions per car - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: