Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help creating maps for pda.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help creating maps for pda.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fizzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Help creating maps for pda. Reply with quote

I've been having trouble finding information on getting maps onto a pda. I've found lots of places and programs saying you can use maps that you can create from scanning paper maps or picture maps downloaded n such, but I can't find any specific how tos on getting a full map into manageable pda maps. I found one place that talked about cutting the map up into smaller pictures and having to name them a specific way, but no details on how to do this. I'm also guessing you'd have to put some sort of location markers on the maps so the gps knows where you are on them.

Any information would be great, I have an hp ipaq 2795b, I've downloaded PocketGPS-map, and some google map programs though the google maps require internet to use it seems.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What PDA based software are you thinking of using and what type of maps do you need walking (Topo), Automotive, Marine, Aviation etc

Most packages using scanned or hand made maps need to be calibrated to work correctly with a GPS unit, this process means you know the specific lat/ long of a point on the map giving the software a reference - minimum of two points for basic - the more cal points the better the overall accuracy.

Alternately you could look into using something like Memory Map on the PC and PDA, these are true Ordnance Survey maps in electronic form, great for the UK - but you haven't said where your maps are need for? - Mike
Fizzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketGPS-map is the program I have now, says it uses Calibrated Bitmap images (I think thats what it said). I'd like to be able to make topo maps and to create google earth type maps. I need them in the USA, mainly Washington, Oregon, and California. I'd be willing to use any program, I just don't have much money to spend on it. As long as I can get instructions on creating the maps for it.

I'd just get OziExplorer, sounds like it handles most of this for you, but at $130 for it and the CE version I can't afford that right now.

It looks like I'll be getting
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858203007
Teletype gps with street software, I don't know if you can use that with other maps or not yet.

Are there any programs that you can scan a map, calibrate it, then tile it for use in pda programs?

I apologize if I'm unclear at all, it's so much to take in all at once :0p.

Thanks.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Topographic section in this forum - theres also Vito and a few others.
I started out down this path but you need to make sure of a couple of things. Calibration is the hardest part by far, next to impossible to do reliably without a feild visit. So make sure the software you choose can recalibrate maps in the feild (on you PDA). If it can't, and you got it wrong, it's useless.

If you can, don't bother, buy the maps. I use Memory Map - it is great. By the time you factor into account the time and frustration, it's just not worth it, unless you are goign somewhere where maps are not avalible.

Also you need to remember the map is a flat, 2D representation of the surface of the earth (3D). most of the tools use a couple of points an a linear projection, so are only accruate over a short distance - I don't know for sure (someone else on this dicussion will be able to (please) give more qualified comment here), but if you want a couple of meters, a calibration point every 50 miles is required, and that is assuming your scanned map is close to the WGS84 datum used by GPS.
Fizzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I changed my mind with the teletype, and ended up ordering a Adept AD-800 this morning without software. Also a friend is going to let me use his Microsoft Streets which will do me fine as far as street navigation I think. And for Geocaching/hiking n such I think I'll start off with the Washington map that comes with Memory-Map as soon as I come up with a bit more extra money, they are on sale right now for $72.25 instead of $95 but I don't know how long that'll last :0p. Memory-Map really does look very impressive.

Also I want to thank you guys for helping, Thank you :0).

Take care,
Fizz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: