Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [b]Speed Cam Alert sound[/b]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[b]Speed Cam Alert sound[/b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zebuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: [b]Speed Cam Alert sound[/b] Reply with quote

Hi I have a New TomTom one Europe. I subscribed to the Speed Cams Which works really well. Trouble is the annoying Beep sound when approching a speed cam is starting to P me off. Is there any way to change the alert sound. I cant find anywere to chand the sound .. looked in POI section and speed cam section of the menu but there this no info about them. the speed cams are not listed as POI and in the speed cam menu there is no option to change the alert sound. Can anyone advise me .. thanks in advance Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, You canot configure the TomTom supplied database, for some reason TomTom have decided to tack away this capability from their software when using their database.

There is a way to obtain spoken alerts for Speed Cameras though, this involves installation of the Speed Camera database from this site - you will find a number of related pages on the FAQ Page :
#7 Will go someway to explain your current position
#5 Details Spoken POI alerts for Speed Cameras
#4 Shows you how to install the PGSPW database
Finally #13 Details removal of the TomTom Database, you can have them both on the device but double warnings can become annoying - Mike
zebuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

Many thanks for your promt and detailed reply. I am now going to research all that your have written. Thanks again Laughing
cjalfa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - Ive had my original TomTom One for 18 months or so and used their daft speed cameras before I found your site.

As I have some subscription left with Tom Toms own cameras, I hope you can help.

When they were POI's I could change the alert, distance etc.

NOW when they stopped being ordinary POI's mine no longer make ANY NOISE, a visual alert is useless, I cant fond anything in the menu to enable the 'annoying beep', the camera warnings are enebaled, they come up visually, but silently, everything else works..

HELP!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, as you have just "found" this web site the chances of you messing around with a file named "data.chk" are remote, but it is worth asking the question as there are other web sites with instructions for spoken alerts by swapping out the data.chk file - does any of this sound familiar?
If so you need to re-install the application to the device, this will replace the data.chk file with the correct one that will offer a beep (nothing more).

If you want the true spoken alerts and a decent Speed Camera database cut your losses and use the one from this site, where you can assign spoken alerts and configure the warning distance per camera type and speed. Whats more it is updated at least once per month, although more recently this has been twice per month.

Read through the links I provided in my post slightly above this one which detail what is needed to be done in order to install/ configure etc (the FAQ page is a good start point)

Before you do anything at all though please ensure you back up the device to the PC FIRST - Mike
cjalfa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I have the thing backed up already, I have not messed about with the data.chk file.

In fact until you mentioned it, I didnt know it was there.

I have located it in the backup file on my PC (assume its on the TT as well!) I have 2 in the voices folder and one in the main Tom Tom backup folder

Is there anything I can do to restore my beep (in fact not restore - its never worked since they changed the format)

I will be using pocketgps world POI's as soon as my TT subscription runs out.

Thanks in advance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

data.chk is a single file you will only have one of these on the device and in your back-up, the dataXX.chk files (in the voices folder, where XX is a number) are actually the navigation voice files, so please leave these well alone.
The data.chk file resides in the root of the memory card - i.e. the highest level you can see - it should not be in a folder, before going any further a simple one to try is Change Preferences/ Reset factory settings then see if the camera warning beeps have been re-enabled - Mike
cjalfa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I know what folder now and have old backups over 2 PC's, the problem only happened the first time I used it after downloading Tom Tom Home, before that I done it Old Skool.

I will return to factory settings like you say.

Many Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: