Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio 168 digiwalker / TOMTOM s/w not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio 168 digiwalker / TOMTOM s/w not working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Mitac Mio 168 digiwalker / TOMTOM s/w not working Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have just bought the above unit from ebay. It came with TT nav 3 which I installed and registered on the TT site - all fine and dandy.

Problem is I can't get TT to see the GPS (which is built into the MM168). I have tried ALL the options in the drop down menu. Just keep getting "GPS position unreliable". :x I was up until 3am this morning trying to get info from websites forums etc. Evil or Very Mad I hope you guys and girls can help. Please.Exclamation

Any ideas most welcome.

Cheers.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being familiar with TomTom 3, I can't provide you with a walkthrough.
But I am familiar with the MIO 168 which I know works with TomTom 5 & 6.

You will need to configure your GPS reciever with the following settings:

Other NMEA GPS receiver
GPS baud rate 4800
Serial Cable on SP2

On v5 & 6 this is effected through Main Menu | Change Preferences | Show GPS status (not on the first screen) | Configure.

You may also need to check out the GPS receiver, Winfast Navigator being suitable.

WinFast Navigator 1.3

This program is hard to find (most downloads give you an old version - v1.3 adds an undocumented feature allowing you to save the GPS log).

Download link:
ftp://www.leadtek.nl/mirror/gps/Tools/WinCEMonitor.zip

This is a direct link to the file, so you will get a File Download Open/Save box, rather than going to a list of files.

In the version I originally downloaded, they messed up with the file names, so the cab you would expect to use isn't the one to use - however, if you use active sync, it installs without any problems directly from the PC.

Like TomTom, WinFast Navigator needs to be configured to connect to the GPS unit.
Open Winfast Navigator ('Navigator' in Start menu - it installs there rather than to the Programs folder).

Set port:
Tools | Port Setting... |
GPS Protocol: NMEA
Port: Select whichever you use for TomTom
BaudRate: Select whichever you use for TomTom
OK

For MIO168 this will be:
Tools | Port Setting... | GPS Protocol | NMEA | Port | Serial2 COM2: | BaudRate | 4800 | OK

View | Development

Connect to GPS
Either, first icon next to 'View' on the toolbar OR
Tools | Connect (when connected, it will say Disconnect)

It should start filling the screen with data.

View | Singal Level (Signal!) | And wait for a fix
Screen will display all the satellites which should be in view, as a fix is obtained, they will first turn blue, then spread out, then selected ones will turn green. When you have 3 or more at green,you have a satellite fix (May take sone time, even up to 30 minutes (typically less than 5-10) the first time you use it, or after it has not been used for some time, or you have moved some distance after it was last turned off)

When you have a fix:

Disconnect:
Either, first icon next to 'View' on the toolbar OR
Tools | Disconnect (when disconnected, it will say Connect)

It is essential to disconnect, because if you don't the GPS signal will not be available for other applications (ie TomTom) to use.

If you have confirmed that you are getting a fix (ie green satellites) and are still having problems with TomTom, Go back to Winfast Navigator, and Connect (as above) then Tools | Command | Initialize (this screen should be the one presented so will not need to be selected) | Ensure that the Factory button in reset mode is selected then press OK and try again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the GPS set-up page and select the GPS TAB the top drop down box needs to be set to NMEA0183v2 4800 (although I seem to remember some later devices were shiped using 9600, so if the rest of this fails try the higher speed).
Second dropdown box needs to be set to select your inbiult GPS receiver "Serial Cable on SP2" sounds about right.
Once you have these values selected make sure you tick the grey/ Blue box top left, then return to the "Status" tab and see if the information is flowing, look at the two icons on the midle right of the screen, one depicts a sat dish the other a PDA, the dotted lines between the two should be animated, if they are take it outside and wait for a position fix - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Neil01's advice.

When setting Tools | Port Setting, select 57600 as the Baud Rate.

If click on the second icon at the bottom, two chasing arrows, Winfast will select the baud rate for you.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Just to add to Neil01's advice.

If click on the second icon at the bottom, two chasing arrows, Winfast will select the baud rate for you.

While this might be appropriate for some hardware under certain situations, I wouldn't suggest it for the MIO168 in general, but certainly not for when trying to get the thing working, when it is essential to keep all settings as near to standard as you can.

However, once you are confident with the GPS settings, (and can put them back!) there is no reason for you not to try to see if you get any improvement with various settings - it is just that I didn't see any worthwhile improvements when changing the baud rate on my MIO168.

PS when running tests to check for any improvement, you have to be aware that running successive identical tests with identical settings can result in wildly diferring results. In one of my tests (carried out at the same location and within a couple of minutes of each other) one test gave me a fix in TomTom of under a minute, while the next gave me a result of around 6. So be aware that the normal range of results can be much greater than any improvement!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe I should have said select Baud rate 57600 in WINFAST. Tap on the chasing arrows which will start Winfast and detect your Baud rate. Most likely 4800, but on later models it could be 9600. You can then carry on as Neil 01 said.

Quote:
Winfast will select the baud rate for you.
Detect your baud rate, not Select.

I'm having another one of those days. Sad
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: THANKS! Reply with quote

I knew you guys would be able to help.Exclamation

Why can't the manufacturer's just put in some simple instructions. How much effort does it take to put:

Other NMEA GPS receiver
GPS baud rate 4800
Serial Cable on SP2

just as neil01 did Question

I have used those settings and they work FINE. Got action out of the unit as soon as they were entered. Got a lock in anout 90 seconds. :P

I have since tried each of the other baud rates - but none of them give any action at all - the dotted line is just frozen. Put it back to 4800 and it works again.

Not sure of the significance of WinFast - would that give me improved performance:?:

Thanks again for all of your inputs.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the different voices I have heard about. Quite fancy having Yoda giving me directions. Laughing

Cheers all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are up and running, leave the Win Fast alone unless you find you need it at some future point, on your device you shouldn't need it to run the software you have.
At the beginning of this thread you mentioned TomTom Navigator version 3 - this cannot support custom voices, they are intended to be used with versions 5 and 6, get used to the new unit and if you find it useful while driving but would like more upto date maps look into TTN5 or TTN6 where you can do more messing around with voices and colour screens etc. Mike
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Thanks Again Reply with quote

Thanks for the further advice.

Hope fully it will be of use to some other users. . .

Cheers. :D
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: THANKS! Reply with quote

Achilles2K wrote:
...works again.

Not sure of the significance of WinFast - would that give me improved performance:?:...

As for winfast, I only mentioned it as a useful tool for diagnosing hardware. I am sure that Lost_Property will be able to confirm, that it can get even the best of us into trouble from time to time! So, my recommendation would be to resist any temptation to fiddle unless you have direct access to someone who can sort you out, or you become that person.

Although I thought that it was probably just a settings problem, I was also considering the possibility that your hardware (second-hand?) was faulty, so just in case the obvious didn't work, I included the next few steps - I know how frustrating it can be having to wait for the next installment of instructions!

Good to hear that everything is working - far to many new users just make a single post and we never hear how it worked out.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sure that Lost_Property will be able to confirm,

Confirmed. :o

Quote:
that it can get even the best of us into trouble from time to time!

and has done so. Thumbs Up
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do appreciate your help with this guys.

It is only good manners to say "Thanks" - I know what you mean about single posters never replying. I managed an IT help desk for a while and rarely got thanks from any users!

Slight aside from original Q. What is the easiest way to get updated maps Question - I was traveling along the A46 today and according to the screen I was driving through the middle of fields 8O Exclamation - it was upgraded to dual carriageway and re-routed 18 months ago. ('bout time too). My mapping is obviously out of date.
Cheers,

Nigel
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it was upgraded to dual carriageway and re-routed 18 months ago. ('bout time too). My mapping is obviously out of date.
You could update to TTN5.21 and purchase maps but I doubt they will show the new route.

If you post a route A to B, which passes the road you mention, I'll have a look on my TTN5 maps to see what appears.

The latest maps are TTN6 but the minimum recommended processor speed is 350MHz where the Mio 168 has a 300MHz one. You may find you get on screen lag as to your actual position. Having said that, some people have said they have no problems with compatibility
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: A - B Reply with quote

Thanks.

Home - Newark = LN5 9UT - NG24 2J

Gotta go to work in Milton Keynes now. Back Friday night.

Cheers
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LN5 9UT - NG24 2J

As you left the last letter off of the destination postcode, I've used the first road in the list.

The route on my TTN5 maps shows:-

Beacon Hill Road onto the A1 then onto the A46.

It bypasses NW of Brough, is this the part not showing on your maps?

It then carries on as A46 to the A1434 Newark Road.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: