Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'Variable' Speed, Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'Variable' Speed, Speed Cameras
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: 'Variable' Speed, Speed Cameras Reply with quote

I would like to make a suggestion, although I stand to be corrected in my observations. These comments apply to the 'Zoned' camera file as I'm not familiar with the two smaller databases.
I was coming down both the M42, and M25 recently, (where these cameras operate, I assume at any given time.)
I have assumed that the icon that you use to indicate a variable limit is the Red Circle with sort of a black blob in the centre, (which is fine.)
The problem, as I see/saw it is that this icon is not consistent...in fact I would suggest that both stretches of these motorways are double checked.
I found that only sometimes was this icon used, some cameras show nothing at all, and some show the 70 icon...all a bit frustrating. (And of course , I do know that not every overhead gantry has cameras) I would just like to see the 'Black Blob' used for each and every variable camera which would make it very clear to everybody...or have I missed something here ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel round that section of the M25 a lot and every camera shows correctly with the "blob" (actually an asterix) symbol. Also, it doesn't miss any.
I had my son craning his neck out the back to double-check one only last weekend.
Are you using the un-verified mobiles file as well, as people keep submitting new locations based on gantries with signs on but which don't have cameras.

Can you point out any exact locations (aproximate Lat/Long) where you are having a problem? Then we can all run demo routes on our machines to check it out as well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I've just checked all round the M25 on the Google map on the submissions page and as far as I can tell, there are no present fixed cameras shown on there that AREN'T "var". There are some 2greyed-out" 40's prom past roadworks, which shouldn't show on your recent database and there are also a few 70mph Mobile sites, but theyshould be showing with a different icon unless you've got your files mixed up.

I don't know the M42 so well, so there could be some missing cameras there (although I'd doubt it), but a quick look at the Google map again shows only the "var" signs present.

Don't know what to suggest except a good look at all your ov2 files and .bmps...
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that..to be frank, I can't..off the top of my greying head. I suppose I could run the 'Advanced Planning' option on my TT6, and then run the demo back slow, but I imagine that would only show where I have the 'Blobs?', which wouldn't relate to my original comment. The reason I specifically noticed this, was because I only have the warning sound turned on for mostly 30/40 Gatsos and Mobiles....and the Asterisk/Variables. The other speed warnigs are just flashed up with no sound...if that makes sense. So we were expecting to be continually 'belled' on both Motorways for variables , but we definately weren't.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did an 'Advance Planning' trip along the M25 (Heathrow/ J10 A3)..and counted 5 variables...there were also a couple Gatso 70's and a mobile 70.
By the way, what do the following actually mean :
Round Circle with a question mark,
Mobile Camera with a question mark
A mobile camera by itself..(no speed showing...so why would that be ?)
And a 'gatso camera pocketGPS temp', (so what is that for ?)
Could you also point me in the right direction to show me the Google map with the cameras on that you mentioned ? Thanks.
Sorry to be a pain, but all the Variable ones appear to be listed OK, I have a total of 27 listed, spread between 39.6 / 118 miles away from down here.
Mike.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
I just did an 'Advance Planning' trip along the M25 (Heathrow/ J10 A3)..and counted 5 variables...there were also a couple Gatso 70's and a mobile 70.

OK I'll try the same... from Heathrow to J10 A3. Will report back.

Quote:

By the way, what do the following actually mean :
Round Circle with a question mark,

= either a fixed camera where no-one has reported the speed yet (a "tba" or "to be announced" camera) or a "Temp" or "temporary" camera set up at roadworks etc.
Quote:
Mobile Camera with a question mark

= a mobile camera site where no-one has reported the speed yet (a "tba" or "to be announced" mobile)
Quote:
A mobile camera by itself..(no speed showing...so why would that be ?)

This could be a clue to your problem!
Looks like you have more than one version of the database installed. You should ONLY have the 'speed-zoned' set, NOT the 'consolidated by type' set or the 'single all-in-one file' as well. This is a list of all the PGPSW files you should have in your map folder:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba.bmp
pocketgps_uk_redlight.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs_20.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs_30.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs_40.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs_50.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs_60.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs_70.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba.bmp
pocketgps_uk_temp.bmp

(plus, optionally you may have another 24 files with the same name but with .ogg extensions, for audio alerts)

You should DELETE any other files BEGINNING WITH "pocketgps_uk_" or life will get very confusing with multiple alerts for the same cameras.

Quote:
And a 'gatso camera pocketGPS temp', (so what is that for ?)

Not sure what you mean by this? We were talking about icons on-screen. Is this a spoken message? Anyway, a "temp" camera is one set up at roadworks etc.

Quote:
Could you also point me in the right direction to show me the Google map with the cameras on that you mentioned ? Thanks.

It s the main camera download and submission page, accessed from the "Click here for speed cameras" box (with a yellow camera sign) on the right of this and every page, or the "speed cameras" text lnk on the left of this page half way down the "Members Area £2" box.

The map's main use is to submit new camera positions, but so long as you are logged in as a subscriber and are using Internet Explorer or Firefox 2.0 as your browser, you will also see all the existing camera positions marked on it. Any shown in grey are positions that have been removed or deleted from the published database, so ignore those.

Hope this helps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, a demo route along the M25 from the NE corner of Heathrow at A4 flyover (N 51.48356 W 0.50021) to the middle of Junction 10 with A3 (N51.32247 W0.45059) gave 8 Gatso "Var" warnings and no others using the Version 5.023 (14 February 2007) speed-zoned database.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you've been really helpful.
Regarding,
'And a 'gatso camera pocketGPS temp', (so what is that for ?)'
[color=#444444][/color
It's a plain camera icon listed under the Gatso's eg Temp:12011@40
I will double check all my camera listings ASAP. Thanks again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:

It's a plain camera icon listed under the Gatso's eg Temp:12011@40

That's another clue that you have more versions of the database installed than you should.
In the speed-zoned set, the "Temp" cameras have their own section, they would only be mixed in with the fixed Gatsos in the "all-in-one" single file version.
Double-check for any files called:
pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2

or

pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2

(and the matching bmp's)

..and delete them.

you should only have those in my original list above.
Edit once MikeAlder at Andys request
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't delete the redlight.ov2 or temp.ov2 or their corresponding bmp files, these files are supplied with both the consolodated by type AND speed zoned file sets.
I would also have a look for any TomTom supplied cameras, these (if present) would go quite along way to explaining the "extra" alerts you seem to be getting - Mike
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm being daft, but, where is the 'Variable' one shown in your list above ? !
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Variable' Speed, Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
I was coming down both the M42, and M25 recently, (where these cameras operate, I assume at any given time.)
I would just like to see the 'Black Blob' used for each and every variable camera which would make it very clear to everybody...or have I missed something here ?
I believe both the M42 and M25 stretches have been cleaned up in the last month or so, and both are pretty accurate now - you are using the latest version of the database aren't you...?

I think you need to sort out the potential multiple database problem first though.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
I know I'm being daft, but, where is the 'Variable' one shown in your list above ? !

They are
Quote:
There may perhaps come a time when PGPSW change "gatso" to "fixed" - there are now quite a lot of different types, so just using Gatso is beginning to look a little confusing??

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Mikeact wrote:

They are
Quote:
There may perhaps come a time when PGPSW change "gatso" to "fixed" - there are now quite a lot of different types, so just using Gatso is beginning to look a little confusing??

Whoops ! Thanks...I think that you're quite right regarding the many varios.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Don't delete the redlight.ov2 or temp.ov2 or their corresponding bmp files, these files are supplied with both the consolodated by type AND speed zoned file sets.

Whoops, sorry (copy and paste instead of using brain!) Any chance you could edit my post please, Mike?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: