Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unimpressed by One XL GPS performance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unimpressed by One XL GPS performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naknak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Unimpressed by One XL GPS performance Reply with quote

For a year or so I have been buying TomTom Ones for use by the drivers of the logistics firm I work for. Needless to say I have had a series of 'evaluation' units and have been impressed with the improvement in GPS performance of the V2-V4 (silver) units compared to the original V1s.

Now I have a nice new XL to play with. The XL screen is certainly a step forward from the standard One, not only in terms of resolution but also clarity, but I'm less than impressed with the GPS performance.

The time to acquire a fix seems to be much greater than for the standard One, and once acquired and driving the XL seems to cope badly with roundabouts and other sudden changes of direction, either carrying on in the wrong direction for a few seconds or travelling along the correct road but at 60-90 degrees to the actual direction of travel! Perhaps I've been spoilt by the excellent performance of the standard One, but on the other hand even my old Mio168 clone wasn't this bad! I'm considering taking the XL back for a refund...

Have other XL owners noticed these performance issues? Have you upgraded to an XL, and if so how do you find yours? Does anyone know whether TomTom have changed the GPS receiver supplier for the XL, and if so which it is?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is just a single unit behaving like this, maybe it is just faulty.
It's always worth trying a reset, as this has sometimes cured problems with slow lock times and jerky display in the past.

As for the GPS chipset, here's a quote from the review here:
Quote:
Although TomTom provide an external GPS antenna socket, I have found that the Global locate “Hammerhead” GPS receiver is more than capable of acquiring enough satellites to operate satisfactorily in my wife’s athermic-screened Renault. Even on my lounge sofa, 10 feet from the nearest window I regularly get 4 or 5 blue bars. The new GPS chipset fitted also benefits from the QuickGPS system offering very fast time to first fix, its quite a radical departure from the tried and trusted SiRF-III chipsets, but this newer device has proven to be equally as good when placed in demanding conditions.

and from the YourNav article:
Quote:
Lastly, we see that TomTom has chosen to use the Hammerhead chipset by Global Locate, which is also present in the smaller ONE Europe and the GO 715.

so if you've been using the ONE Europe it should be the same (It's not clear whether the ONE Regional is also the same chipset, but I would have guessed it was).
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
so if you've been using the ONE Europe it should be the same (It's not clear whether the ONE Regional is also the same chipset, but I would have guessed it was).

One V4's (Regional & Euro) both use this new chipset
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used a One XL for some time I have to say the GPS reception is very good even when faced with demanding conditions, it easily outperforms my 910 in terms of time to first fix, once it has a position lock it is difficult to loose it, go through a tunnel and it obviously looses position, but very quickly finds it again once in view of a clear sky, even considering you are moving when trying this.
I would try returning it for another one and try again, the XL is a nice device with great GPS performance I think the one you have might be faulty - Mike
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had largely good experiences with the XL. I used it in my friend's car last weekend during a road trip to West Virginia. We took a bit of a risk by getting on the road with ONLY the XL and no backup directions, but everything turned out fine. This is especially impressive because we were driving through rural West Virginia, and the unit gave accurate directions.
Naknak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Having used a One XL for some time I have to say the GPS reception is very good even when faced with demanding conditions, it easily outperforms my 910...

Can't comment on the performance of the x10 series as to date I've only had Ones.

Quote:
I would try returning it for another one and try again...I think the one you have might be faulty - Mike

Not much point I'm afraid - all four One XLs I've bought exhibit the same poor performance in comparison to the V2/V3s.

Perhaps I'd be happy with an XL if it was my first experience of an all-in-one device, but the fact is that the ones I have just don't work as well as the V2s and V3s. Maybe a GPS receiver firmware upgrade will be forthcoming from TomTom...
tcorlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ensured that your One XL has got the latest QuickGPSfix data? My XL One (Europe) with QuickGPSfix data when starting from my home location is acquiring a signal within 5 seconds from start; is acquiring signal away from home location in less than 10. And is actually receiving a signal inside my home where a Garmin Handheld and TomTom 910 can't see anything.

Without QuickGPSfix data my One XL got out of bed, brushed its teeth, combed its hair, and looked in the mirror for about 4 minutes before it grudgingly went to work. Confused

TC

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: