Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6 running slow on PPC after adding speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6 running slow on PPC after adding speed cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loll_l
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: TomTom 6 running slow on PPC after adding speed cameras Reply with quote

I am running TomTom 6 on an Acer N35 pocket PC....

Before adding speed cameras to the POI's the graphics (when driving) moved very smoothly... but since adding speed cameras the graphics have become jerky (ie. it now seems like the display is refreshing at less frames per second!)... the graphics are now jerky when I view a demo of the route also!!

When I disable the speed cameras in the POI menu the graphics go back to being smooth again! but the problem is I really need the speed camera facility so don't want to have to disable it!

I'm guessing the problem must be memory related.... does anyone know a fix for it?

And if there is no fix... can you tell me if this is actually affecting the performance of the GPS or is it just the display that is suffering?

Loll
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had the same problem with Viamitchelin on a iPAQ, One way round it is to switch off the Speed cams, so they don't display, but keep the audible warnings, mine was running so slow, it said, "Turn left at next turning", and I had gone past it. To correct the fault, (I take it you have it on an SD card, is to copy the SD card onto a Bigger, faster card. I never got round to doing it on my iPAQ, but on my TomTom, I use a 60x speed.
NeilRitchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loll
Instead of enabling the speed cameras and displaying them, just activate the voice warning. ( To do this go to "Change Preferences""Manage POIs"
"Warn when near POI")
I had a similar problem on my XDA pocket PC and this cured it.
I think they are still displayed on the screen when the audible alarm is sounded
Good Luck
Neil

TANDA beat me to it - I must type to slow!!
loll_l
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I don't actually have the sound turned on when I'm using GPS as I find it annoying so that unfortunately isn't an option.

I do however have a much bigger SD card (it is 2 gig as opposed to the 512mb one I currently using).... I will copy the map onto that to see if the speed improves.

Thanks again.

Loll
loll_l
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the bigger 2 gig SD card by using the route demo but unfortunately there was no improvement!!

As I stated before I do not have the sound swithed on when using GPS so unless anyone knows an alternative work around it looks as though I am going to have to put up with the jerky graphics!!??

I can just about tollerate the jerky graphics but can anyone tell me if its just the image refresh rate (frames per second) that is being affected or is the whole program slowing down?? (ie. if its also affecting the softwares ability to locate my position then I suppose I will just have to cope without the speed cameras)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has already been pointed out above it's because you have all the POIs showing. Therefore your PocketPC is struggling to update the screen.

Selecting "Warn when near POI" will only show the cameras when you go near them and should solve the problem. The fact you don't have sound on is neither here nor there. This way the Pocket PC only has to show the POIs you are near and not ones miles away lightening the load on the processor.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download and install the "Silent Voice" from Rays site Here then select it in Change Preferences/ Change Voice, this way you can leave the sound turned up for the warnings (if you then do what Neil has suggested) - you won't get spoken Navigation commands due to the silent voice, but you will get audible warnings and the speed camera icon, with the POI's disabled your screen refresh rate will recover to normal, but you MUST configure the Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI for EACH camera POI file.

If you leave the sound off without the silent voice the Speed camera warnings will still flash up on the screen once configured correctly.

Enabling loads of POI's on the PDA is not a good idea, this is known to tax even the fastest processors resulting in slow screen refresh rates - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: