Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go series: Maps collection Western Europe Ver:6.5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go series: Maps collection Western Europe Ver:6.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Go series: Maps collection Western Europe Ver:6.5 Reply with quote

I am running a Go Classic. Can someone please tell me if I need to install Navigator for Go,off the CD, as shown on CD in Tomtom Home. Also which maps to replace my old maps, which are `Great_Britain_Plus-Map` Version:v571.0. and Major roads of Europe. And do you need SD cards for each country. Also as I have not long had these new maps on CD, would I be able to get a free upgrade if there is one from Tomtom. Regards Mike.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Go series: Maps collection Western Europe Ver:6.5 Reply with quote

MickeyM wrote:
I am running a Go Classic. Can someone please tell me if I need to install Navigator for Go,off the CD, as shown on CD in Tomtom Home.

No, that will be the the original software that is on your device if you haven't ever updated it. Your Go IS working I assume?
If you want to update your software (as you will need to do anyway if you buy new maps) you need to download it (for free) from TomTom, using "Home" to do it.

Quote:
Also which maps to replace my old maps, which are `Great_Britain_Plus-Map` Version:v571.0. and Major roads of Europe.

Maps are on v675 now, so yours are quite out of date.
I suggest "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" which also includes the major roads of Europe now, or "Central and Eastern Europe" which is street level for UK, Eire and all of Western and some Central Europe.
Avoid "Western Europe" which has had some detail reduced to fit it onto 1GB.
Details and exact coverage is all there to see on TomTom's map purchase page (http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php), BUT (as they are stupid!) you will need to enter a different model (e.g. "Go910") to see all the possible options. Click on "Show detailed map information" to see the coverage.
Don't worry , they ALL work on a Go Classic, but you will obviously need a bigger SD card to fit them onto.

Quote:
And do you need SD cards for each country. Also as I have not long had these new maps on CD, would I be able to get a free upgrade if there is one from Tomtom. Regards Mike.

No, as above you get it all on one map now, although you CAN buy the UK and Eire map seperately, if you want. This gives slightly easier/quicker searching as it doesn't search for towns with similar names over all Europe.

You've got no chance of a free upgrade!
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Go series: Maps collection Western Europe Ver:6.5 Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, for your reply.
Tonyv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Go series: Maps collection Western Europe Ver:6.5 Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Maps are on v675 now, so yours are quite out of date.
I suggest "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" which also includes the major roads of Europe now, or "Central and Eastern Europe" which is street level for UK, Eire and all of Western and some Central Europe.
Avoid "Western Europe" which has had some detail reduced to fit it onto 1GB.

Hi Andy, - I've got V650 Western Europe - came pre-loaded on the 510. - Do you know what areas have been 'reduced' to fit? - I'm travelling thru france and spain in the autumn, and had thought of updating the maps prior to going, - what would be your advice?

Thanks, Tony
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of detail about the differences in:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54763&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (start from page 2 really)

or on another forum http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10006

There are some pictures on both of those links showing the differences. It seemed at first that all they had done was reduces the off-road features like rivers and lakes, but then people started finding small roads had disappeared too.

The Western and Central map is only a few pounds more, that seems a better deal and it WILL work on your unit, but you will have to enter "Go910" in the TomTom mapshop page to be able to buy it.
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Go series: Maps collection Western Europe Ver:6.5 Reply with quote

Andy, Is it possible for you to give me a step by step guide on how to get the Maps of "Central and Eastern Europe"off my Tomtom CD using Home, and onto my Classic Go. I have a 512Mb card at the moment with Ver: 571.0 on it, and want to upgrade to 6.5. Do I copy existing data from 512Mb card onto a 2Gb card and then get Home to install the new version. Do I have to delete anything or does Home take care of it,just not sure what I want off the CD. Regards and thanks, Mike.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mike, I didn't make it clear, we're talking about NEW maps here.
The maps on your CD will be the original ones that were loaded on your Go when it was made. As the Classic Go was the only model that ever HAD backups of the maps on a CD, I don't know what exact areas you'll have, but they'll be very old now.

The Western and Central Europe map was only released in April 2007 (at the same time as the other v675 maps, and it is only available for download from the TomTom website (I gave a link to it in my previous answer).

Two things:
1. you will need to get a 2GB SD card to fit it onto (details for copying your existing set-up to it are in the TomTom FAQs at the top of this forum).
2. to buy the map you have to pretend you have a Go910 or the TT website won't show it. You download it to your PC then use "Home" to install it to the new SD card.
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, Sorry to confuse you but. The DVD I have (Maps collection of Western Europe) which I bourght off a young lady this last weekend. They were a Xmas present to her and she no longer wants them,still sealed with code inside.The code card gives Maps of Western Europe version: 6.5.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see!

Those will be individual country maps (each with the major roads of Europe included) if I remember correctly.

You should be able to simply copy (using "Home") each individual country's folder onto your Go (space permitting), but you will have to manually switch maps (change preferences/manage maps/switch map) at the border, as they are not a single joined-up map.
One of the tabs in the middle window of Home (My Computer/TomTom CD/all sources) should allow you to browse to the DVD.

If you run out of space, you need to copy the entire SD card to a 1 or 2 GB one, check that works, and then carry on adding.
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, Thats great. I have sent for a fast Kingston 2Gb SD Card. Regards Mike.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: