Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - before I buy it...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

before I buy it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twisted-pixel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: before I buy it... Reply with quote

hi all,

just a quick bit of background...

I have an in-car satnav system from blaupunkt that I want to replace. It works perfectly and I'd be lost without it but it is 4 years old (map is 2003 though)..doesn't do postcodes, isn't colour and just doesn't match anything in the car (old stereo was moulded into the dash)..so it needs to go....if I can find something as good to replace it with.

I also have an iPAQ 2210. I've been asking in some newsgroups about some advice and some people recommended the tomtom ii navigation pack.

I just would like to check that this is a reasonably good system before I rush out and buy it...seems a bargain at £250 from PC world, considering I paid over £600 for my old system.

I'll be getting the complete pack (all in one box set) as I'm not confident enough to buy the software and then get a seperate GPS receiver etc..I'd rather just buy the whole thing and know that it's all compatible. I'm also thinking about the wired version rather than the BT one...good idea or not?

I also downloaded the flash vid from the tomtom site.

The map seems a little slow to change orientation as you drive along and the voice isn't particularly clear. Is it loud enough to be heard when driving?

any other comments or things that I should be aware of?

many thanks
popabawa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same concerns about TomTom Navigator after looking at the demo on their website.

I was finally convinced after a colleague at work demonstrated it working.

I'ts MUCH better 'in the flesh', I've only been using it for a couple of days but it sucessfully negotiated me from north to south London yesterday afternoon without a hitch.

I found it very comfortable to use, the voice prompts are fine, even though I was getting wound up listening to the Liverpool - Everton game at the same time! They are pretty loud, although I drive quite a small car (Ford Puma) and the iPAQ 2210 is fairly close to me. Havig said that, I turned the volume down to half.

The voice promps are well paced and didn't leave me in any last minute lane crossing to get in the right place. My girlfriend even commented that we were less likely to argue with her not map reading (suits me fine!) Thumbs Up

I went down the separate reciever (Fortuna Clip-on) route. The bluetooth works brilliantly, I saw that as a big plus for me as I want to use it for hiking & biking as well. If only for car use, a wired model is fine.

Iain.
twisted-pixel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain,

thanks for your reply.

I've just posted another question in the tomtom forum but maybe you can answer it for me.

my exisiting car system has a CD-rom that contains all the map data...the CD is about 500 MB..but the tomtom only needs 95MB...does it contain the details of EVERY road in the UK??

other than that..it looks like the system for me!!!
popabawa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know the answer to that one.

It LOOKS pretty comprehensive but I coudn't be sure...
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current TTNav2 map data was released in December 2002 and it’s starting to look its age. There are a few new housing estates that it doesn’t know about. The M6 Toll Road is also missing, as are one or two bypasses, e.g. the A43 Silverstone bypass. However to answer your question, yes even though it’s only 95MB in size, the data covers all of mainland UK and the IoW.

Another thing to be aware of (especially when you’re new to TTNav) is that whilst all towns and villages are on the map, the search sometimes doesn’t find them. If you need to find a “missing” place then you can use the TTNav map and select it. There are details about this issue in other threads.

Don’t let this put you off TTNav2 it is a good system. Hopefully TTNav3 will be available soon with up-to-date map data and perhaps other interesting features.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: