Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras disabled maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras disabled maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras disabled maps Reply with quote

Hi, I downloaded the speed camera database for tomtom nav 6. After I worked out how to install them with tomtom home I went up to scotland and realised that the maps weren't working ie thought I was driving off road. Tried switching maps as I have my old gb map from nav 5 still on there but none of the maps are working. Do I have to reinstall everything? Anyone got any idea what's happened? It was all working fine till I installed the pocket gps cameras.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our POIs cannot have damaged your maps. Do you see the map still? i.e. Are the roads still visible?
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it calculates the route etc then when I set off for the 1st 15 mins or so it's fine then it just thinks I'm in a field! I'm in the process of reinstalling my map and cameras and see what happens
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps can be affected if you have POI's showing. You don't have to have the camera icons showing on the map as they will appear when you approach a camera, providing you have set them up as Warn on Route or Warn When Near.

In Wales and Scotland, and parts of Deveon and Conrnwall, you can lose one or two sats, because of the terrain, and may be down to just 3 or 4 sats, in which case you will find the map shows you are in rivers or a field.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtcmusic wrote:
Yes it calculates the route etc then when I set off for the 1st 15 mins or so it's fine then it just thinks I'm in a field! I'm in the process of reinstalling my map and cameras and see what happens

What device are you using?
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an HP IPAQ hw6515
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have many other POIs installed?
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did have my old cameras on there for my old maps. I've just taken all old maps and cameras off and have reinstalled my UK and IE plus major roads of WE v660.1219. The App version is 6.010 (7720). Don't know if they're completely up to date.
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update this, I'm doing the same Scotland trip tomorrow as when this problem started so I can test that this has worked. I'll report back on Saturday.
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the maps and speed cameras were working great. I got from Sunderland to Hexham which is about 40 miles then it went pear shaped again. It seems like as soon as I'm outside that 40 mile radius it just doesn't want to know. Could it be a problem with my gps settings?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sounds like marginal satellite reception.

Your s/w version and map versions are OK.

What car do you drive, or more importantly does it have one of these athermic screen coatings to reduce UV (and satellite :D ) transmissions?

When you are navigating have a look at the satellite status screen and see how many sats you have locked. A typical number would be 6 - 9. Anything below 4 would be suspicious.

Was it the same road? Is it a new road (i.e. built within last 2 years?) there is a delay in getting new maps to we comsumers!
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just got a bog standard Ford Focus, no uv protection or anything. Anyway, it was working fine on the same roads before and my wife's Tomtom One works fine in my car. Also it happens when I drive south too as I was travelling south towards Doncaster from Sunderland on the A19 which has always been on the maps even with Nav 5 but the same thing happened.

I just programmed a route in at my house and looked to see how many sats I had (never done that before) and it said 0 at one side of the house and 3 at the other side. Could this be a problem with my gps device?

The coincidence is that it only started happening after I put these cameras on. I thought maybe if it was that somebody might've recognised the symptoms.

I suppose the next step is to uninstall everything put the map back on without installing cameras and then drive 40 miles away!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Change Preferences/ Enable_Disable POI's and de-select all the POI that are ticked, use the Warn When near POI function instead as this reduces burden on the processor - its just a guess, but out of interest how many POI were ticked when you look at enable/ disable - Mike
dtcmusic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just checked the POI enable/disable bit and found that I had 33 Pocket GPS POI ticked and 5 others. I've unticked the 5 others but have I installed these cameras wrong? 33 seems an awful lot. I'm sure I only had about 8 when I used Tomtom's cameras.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33 is correct if using the full Speed Zoned files and PMobiles.

When I said disable ALL the POI files I really do mean ALL of them including the 33 camera POI.

Then go back to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI and configure each camera in turn as this will still give you the warnings but not slow off the map it might even fix your problem Wink - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: