Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 910 Safety Camera Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 910 Safety Camera Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NACarter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: TomTom GO 910 Safety Camera Update Reply with quote

I got round to connecting my GO910 to my PC last night for the first time in a month or so, and Home wanted to download and install some TomTom safety camera updates (I don't subscribe to them though). Home asked me which map to install the *_PT_* files to, and I haven't a clue! I told it to use the Western Europe map, but does anyone know which map these files are for? I can't find any reference anywhere.

TIA.

Nick
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming they are UK cameras, then they go into whichever map folder you are using at the moment (or all of them if you like, but obviously they will only show up on a map covering where they are!). In your case, Western Europe sounds right.

If you have updated a map, and havent deleted the old one, there is sometimes an issue where the on-screen name of the new map is the same as the previous version, making it hard to see which map folder the unit is actually using.
One way to double check is to add a new POI category (in Preferences/Manage POI), using an easily recognisable name ("testing" for example).
Then connect up to the PC and use Windows Explorer to view the contents of your map folders. When you find a file called "Testing.ov2", it will be in the map folder the unit is using at the moment.
NACarter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, but I'm still not sure. I haven't updated any maps, and I am currently using the Western Europe map. As you said in your post "assuming they are UK cameras" then they go in the Western Europe folder. My question is, though, are they UK cameras, or even European cameras?

A secondary question is, why does Home download camera updates when I haven't subscribed to them? Is it because my GO is less than a year old or something similar? I thought that you only got updated camera details if you subscribed to the TomTom database (and everyone says don't - the PGPSW ones are much better).

Nick
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NACarter wrote:
My question is, though, are they UK cameras, or even European cameras?

Oh, I see! I got the wrong end of the stick. Your problem is that it's not clear where the cameras are for. That *would* make it hard to decide where to put them! Laughing
Unless there is something in the full filename to help, I'm afraid I don't know. Never used tthe TT ones myself...

And yes, it DOES seem odd that they have sent you them at all, if you haven't subscribed or joined a free promotion.
NACarter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! The filenames are something like radar_PT_... (I can't remember the full names, and I'm at work now), and although I've searched Google and other places I can't find any reference to what the PT might mean. As I said, I told Home to put them in the WE folder. I wonder whether there's a way to find out where they are for?

Home didn't used to give me updates, but has done a couple of times since I got my GO for Christmas. Perhaps they've started to provide updates to the camera database that came with the unit. I think I did see something about updates available for all on the yourNav site, but I wasn't sure what that referred to.

Nick
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NACarter wrote:
Exactly! The filenames are something like radar_PT_... (I can't remember the full names, and I'm at work now), and although I've searched Google and other places I can't find any reference to what the PT might mean. As I said, I told Home to put them in the WE folder. I wonder whether there's a way to find out where they are for?

Home didn't used to give me updates, but has done a couple of times since I got my GO for Christmas. Perhaps they've started to provide updates to the camera database that came with the unit. I think I did see something about updates available for all on the yourNav site, but I wasn't sure what that referred to.

Nick

An example TT camera filename is Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2. My guess is that IT is for Italy, AT for Austria and so on. You're probably suffering short term memory loss - join the club - as I can't see any PT ones. The TomTom UK ones are well down the list, called Safety_Cam_UK_30_TomTom.ov2 etc.
I have a theory (completely without any foundation), that the updates dumped on you by TT Home are in the "new" format, replacing the old format (where their ov2 cameras were part of your POI allowance and were configurable by you) with new format pre-configured (!!) by TT. I'm probably totally wrong. Anyway, they certainly do go on the Western Europe map so that you can delete them if you are using the pgpsw ones!!! Thing to do in future when Home says "You've got Cameras" is to click on Cancel.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
NACarter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis. I'll have another look this evening. I'm sure it had PT in it though. Of course my memory is not that good Fred. Smile

Nick
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen Dick, believe me you've got short term memory loss - I remember what it used to be like - always mixing up my ITs, PTs, ATs, BEs, DEs, CHs, NLs, ESs and any amount of stuff. Don't worry, it'll improve with the onset of Dementia.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that little addition to your sig. Dennis. You were quick to spot that one... Laughing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the _PT_ are Cameras for Portugal. There's 5 sets.

I don't subscribe to the TT Cameras, but they still offer to download/install them for me. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Thank you for that little addition to your sig. Dennis. You were quick to spot that one... Laughing

When I was a Brylcreem Boy, we had a motto - Always grind the *******s down!! Twisted Evil

NACarter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just checked Dennis, and yes there are definitely 5 pairs of PT files. Looks like your eyesight is going as well as your memory!

Thanks Oldboy for the answer. Looks like assuming the WE map was the right thing to do!

Nick
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was it again that makes you go blind?
I suppose TT are giving you some lovely new ones for PTland then. My info was from looking at a backup, some six months old - before Portugal was invented. I've been declining every TT offer since then, so maybe I've got them on my TT Home somewhere also. Nope, just checked and I haven't. But I've got NOs, called fartsboks and SEs called fartkamera if that helps. Laughing

NACarter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: