Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do i ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKEEM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: How do i ? Reply with quote

Change my home location on Garmin c510d ? moving house so need to change home location obviously
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has responded - don't know why as I think this is a good question. I cannot find anything about this in the manual for my 660. There is talk of editing details on Home but not changing. I guess you could try deleting from favourites then setting a new favourite and call this Home. If you do this however I don't know if the "Go home" button will still work. Some advice needed I think. Have you asked Garmin?
City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Garmin i3 you must delete the Home favourite first. Then you can set up a new one.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly no-one with C510 reading. It will be different for different GARMIN units.

For the 510 it's on page 8 of the user manual http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/StreetPilotc510_OwnersManual.pdf
and it's using a variation of the delete then reset location. Similar to the 660.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the i3 and nuvi 360 automatically send you to a favourite sved as 'HOME' when you selct 'go home'. presumeably the others are the same - so just remove your current favourite called 'HOME' or rename it to 'OLD HOME' and save a new one called 'HOME'

MaFt
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was recently suggested to me that one should not set a 'Home' location in case your unit is stolen and it leads them straight to your house. 8O
Rather to include your home address in your 'Favourites' list. Just a thought................
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was recently suggested to me that one should not set a 'Home' location in case your unit is stolen and it leads them straight to your house.

What difference does it make? All they know is your address. You can get this going past any house. Even if YOU are out with the Sat Nav doesn't mean there is no-one home - esp big noisy dog.

If you were in Glasgow and someone got your Sat Nav and discovered Home was in London, what then? Are they going to hop on the next train in the hope that when they get there no-one will be in?

I think it's any un-warranted worry and one that doesn't make sense.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have turned off and set Garmin Lock they cannot find HOME because they can only unlock with the PIN or by going to HOME 8)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have turned off and set Garmin Lock they cannot find HOME because they can only unlock with the PIN or by going to HOME

Ah yes, well, no, you see. Hmm, but then if, hmm, no but yes. Ahh but what if, no...

Ok I've not heard of Garmin Lock. Embarassed What models is it featured on?

Additional: But also surely if you HAVE locked it then they can't find HOME anyway? In order for the Garmin Lock feature to be circumnavigated the thief would need to get your Sat Nav and the PIN. Isn't the Unlock at Home feature just for when you have forgotten or lost the PIN? Perhaps I've missed something here but there still isn't a security risk because the theft doesn't have your PIN and even if they did they wouldn't need the HOME location because they have your PIN????
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not say there was a risk - I was expanding the responses. You only set Garmin lock once and once set it will need the PIN to start the unit. Yes, th esecurity location is needed for if you forget your PIN and is normally set to Home because it is useful not to have to put the PIN in when you start out from Home (once the GPS has got a fix of course).
To see which models have Garmin lock and for a better description why not visit www.garmin.com ? Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron - Sorry. I know you didn't say there was a risk but perussell seemed to imply there was one.

Thanks for the info on this. Already Googled it yesterday.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron - Sorry. I know you didn't say there was a risk but perussell seemed to imply there was one. Then you mentioned Garmin Lock and i thought you might have been trying to point out a significance with the Home location and perussell's post. I guess not.

Thanks for the info on this. Already Googled it yesterday.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: