Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New postcode file - v701. Why is it all wrong?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New postcode file - v701. Why is it all wrong?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: New postcode file - v701. Why is it all wrong?! Reply with quote

I've just installed the new v675 UK & ROI map. The map download came with a 'new' postcode file - v701 ('for TeleAtlas maps', as the tooltip says when I hover over it in TomTom HOME).

I thought I'd install it, as my current postcode file (which came with the old v660 map) was v603. So I guessed v701 was more recent.

My v603 postcode file had a date stamp of September 2006, so I was slightly suspicious that the 'new' v701 postcode file had a date stamp some time in 2005.

Now I've installed the v701 postcode file, it has loads of errors in it, my home postcode (which has always been correct) now places me in a completely different road and there are several other errors like this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is v701 really new? I think I might just go back to the old postcode file.

Cheers.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New postcode file - v701. Why is it all wrong?! Reply with quote

voice_of_reason wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this? Is v701 really new? I think I might just go back to the old postcode file.
And don't forget to let TomTom know. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slightly concerning as I have the latest post code file. Can anyone else confirm it seems to be contain more errors then its predecessor?
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems ok to me. New small roads near here are known to it.
As for the date, any map data downloaded from TT seems to dated 24/09/2005. The last update was dated the same.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:

As for the date, any map data downloaded from TT seems to dated 24/09/2005. The last update was dated the same.

Did the virus they sent out with Go910s for a while have that date too? Twisted Evil

Why are they so bad at this sort of thing? Simple computer geeky stuff, like always giving version numbers and release dates and getting filenames and dates right, seems beyond them. Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here goes. Should I get one of my backup SD cards and copy the up to date SD card, then put the old Postcode files back onto it? Then when I get an apparent error, quickly swap cards to see if the other one has a working postcode location?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
Seems ok to me. New small roads near here are known to it.

But the previous version (603) that came pre-installed on the SD card that I got with my TomTom ONE was dated September 2006? Maybe it's just files downloaded from TomTom directly that have incorrect date stamps?

Oh well, at least the postcode of the house I'm moving to is on there. Just a shame it places it in the wrong town. Still, it wouldn't have mattered if it was correct, because the road that the house is on isn't even on the map anyway. Still, I guess it has only been there for two years. A bit too 'new' to be appearing on sat nav maps yet. Wink
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not clear if you are saying that 701 is missing a postcode thats in 603, or the road is not on the 675 map?
I know of several postcodes that go to the right area but the streets are not like that any more. If I look on a 660.1256 map its the correct road using the same 701 postcode file.
So I suspect the postcode just sets the lat/long and it snaps to the nearest road on the current map.

The 675 map has lots of small roads missing, esp on estates, even those built 4+ years ago.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
I'm not clear if you are saying that 701 is missing a postcode thats in 603, or the road is not on the 675 map?

Both. Kind of. I've noticed mistakes in the newer postcode file that are correct in older versions of the postcode file. There are roads missing in the new v675 map, but that's a different issue, and they were never in the older maps anyway. They're mostly newer roads on estates near me, but I guess it'll take a few more map releases before they start to show up.

I've not noticed any smaller roads missing on the new v675 map that weren't already missing in older versions. I know some people have complained about this on the full Western European version of the v675 map, but the regional UK & ROI v675 map that I've got doesn't seem to be any worse than the v660 map I was using before (but neither does it seem any better from what I've seen so far!)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
So I suspect the postcode just sets the lat/long and it snaps to the nearest road on the current map.
Correct. The Postcode File is just a look-up Table that returns a Lat/Long for the Software to pinpoint a location.

This can be seen in Browse Map when the Cursor is not actually on the highlighted road.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: