Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Etrex & Ipaq 3970 newbe help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Etrex & Ipaq 3970 newbe help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webby962
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Garmin Etrex & Ipaq 3970 newbe help Reply with quote

To anyone who helps, many thanks.

I own a Ipaq 3970, and wanted to use it with my old trusty Etrex. So I purchased a data cable that links the two, and plugs into the ciggy lighter on the car. I have set my Etrex to NMEA OUT, baud 4800.

I have downloaded Pocket Streets from my AR2002, and when I open a map and go to Configure GPS, the Blue light on the Ipaq flashes, and I have a few COM port options to select. Only I can not select them, and nothing happens except for the blue light, which I thought was Bluetooth. In which case, why isn't the Ipaq using the Datacable?

Can anyone direct me to a good FAQ for this kind of set up?

Ultimatly I want to be able to down load maps of areas im going to be travelin in, and use the GPS and IPaq to navigate with.

Your asistance is greatly appreciated.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue light is Bluetooth, so there's something not quite right there. When you have the cable connected to the eTrex and you set it to output NMEA 4800 (correct), on the iPAQ you should have a port listing and you should choose COM1. If when the port list comes up suddenly bluetooth kicks in, it sounds like Pocket Streets is selecting the Bluetooth port automatically.

I doubt it'll make any difference, but what happens if you unplug the cable and then go to configure GPS ? Can you select COM1 ?

One thing that should be said is AutoRoute (Pocket Streets) is pretty poor, you won't be able to navigate from A to B, all you will get is your position on a map, and that's it. If you want to be able to navigate to a destination then you really need to purchase a proper street navigation package, we have tons listed at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/menu_gpsstreetrouting.php

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: