Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I can't see the list of free POIs ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't see the list of free POIs ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: I can't see the list of free POIs ??? Reply with quote

I have just recieved my Nuvi 660 today to replace my Halford Nav 6000, which was dreadfull. I am very impressed with the Nuvi & now want to add some of the free POIs. I have entered my unit, checked the UK box is ticked.... then nothing???? Pressing the refresh button just puts the Tom Tom back in the drop down. A "quick tip" says to press the + button... but I have no idea where / what that is.
Many thanks for any help.

Cliff
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you Refresh the Page it will always put TomTom back into the Box. It's best not change anything on the Page until it's fully loaded.

You might have to Click Refresh a couple of times.

The + that is mentioned, you will see when you have the full List on the Page. This opens up the Categories, and displays the sub-categories. It's used so that you can refine your list of POIs.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin or Tom Tom data ??? Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply. Do I have to keep putting Garmin in the box each time it puts Tom Tom back in? I get a cancel dialogue box each time I refresh. I've been going around this loop for 5 mins now???? If I get to the page how will I know I'm looking at Garmin data, & not Tom Tom.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a Cancel dialogue. It might be your Browser. Confused

You should only need to change it the once, after you have the List of POIs displayed.

I've only had a problem with the page displaying 3/4 times. Most times it goes straight in.

When you download the POIs, the value in the Box, Garmin, will be used to specify which format the download will take.

CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Selection ?? Reply with quote

Just to confirm it will say Tom Tom in the top box even though I'm looking at Garmin data??? How do I know I've loaded the correct one??? It says they are ov2 files. I thought Garmin used csv files????
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I wasn't very clear. Embarassed

Every time you Click Refresh it will show TomTom in the box. It's the default setting.

Once you have the the Full Page displayed and then changed it to Garmin it will remain until you Refresh, or Reload, the Page. It should always say Garmin to download the CSV Files.

Just to note that when I went to the Page this morning I had to refresh the Page twice for it to display. Smile

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the problem where you only see a message saing "Loading POI categories..." just below the UK box that you've ticked?

If so, it's more prevalent if you are using Internet Explorer, and particularly IE7. I've tried pressing Refresh, CTRL/Refresh, deleting the cache, logging out & back in again, swapping countries to download, and various combinations of these, all to no avail.

I eventually had to download a different browser (Mozilla Firefox) onto my PC solely to access the POI database. I still use my preferred IE7 for everything else, but switch to Firefox every time I want to download POIs.

Not an ideal solution, but until there's a version of the Download POI page that works consistently with IE7, it will have to do.

While writing this post, I just tried again with IE7 to see how it fared today.
1st attempt - didn't load.
2nd attempt (pressed CTRL/Refresh - on the address bar, not on the web page) - loaded!!
3rd attempt (tried the back button, followed by forward) - didn't load.
4th (Pressed Refresh on the web page) - didn't load.
5th (CTRL/Refresh on address bar) - Resend dialogue box displayed, but page still didn't load fully.
Gave up!
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Exactly !!!! Reply with quote

Yes this is exactly the problem I have.... many thanks Daggers for confirming this. I only signed up yesterday...... I think I'll be asking for my £19 back!!! Is the rest of the site like this?

I think the "sales" page should say not suitable for ie7.

Thanks again

Cliff
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Exactly !!!! Reply with quote

CliffEdge wrote:
Yes this is exactly the problem I have.... many thanks Daggers for confirming this. I only signed up yesterday...... I think I'll be asking for my £19 back!!!

Don't be too hasty. I don't have any problems when downloading the speed camera database - that's what your £19 gets you.

The other POIs can be downloaded for free without being a paid-up member; this is the only page where I experience the problems with IE7. And I do have a workaround for this problem, so it's not a major issue any longer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: