Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost maps on tom tom one europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost maps on tom tom one europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gill57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Lost maps on tom tom one europe Reply with quote

Hi, I bought a tom tom one new edition europe, received it today, set it up o.k. in the car. Brought it in and did a backup. Don't know what happened after that but the sd card could not be read by the machine. I tried to restore the backup but it's having none of it. When I turn it on it says there are no maps on the machine. Anyone know how I can get the maps back witout the restore feature? I have been intouch with tom tom and am awaiting a reply, just thought I might get back up and running a little quicker on here.
Thank you in advance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid each map is locked to a particular unit, so we can't just send you a copy. TomTom will take a long time and will probably charge you.
If you can convince yourself it wasn't your fault that TomTom's backup method failed, then the quickest and easiest way would be to send it back to where you bought it and ask for a replacement.
gill57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I didn't want a copy from anyone, I was just wondering if anyone could point me down the route of restoring the backup without using the tomtom home program because that won't work for some reason. I have found the backup on my comp and the maps are there but I don't know how to get them back to the machine.

You were quite correct about tom tom support, they pointed out the obvious, (restore the backup), I don't think they read my email as I did point out to them that that did not work and that I had been trying all day. They were quick to respond though, less than 24 hours, but no help as such Rolling Eyes , just said go back to the guy you bought it from. I did think that seeing as it was brand new and sealed (I did get time to register it before it went wrong) that they could see from my profile that it was registered on that day that they would have at least given me a work around, after all it is their product.

Rant over Embarassed , just have to wait and see if there is anyone out there that can help!!!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Explorer to Copy/Paste the Files from the Backup Folder to the SD Card.

Either copy the Map Folder to the Card, or select the Files and copy them to the Map Folder.

I'm assuming you can see the Device in Explorer. ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gill57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for your answers. I have rectified it as you said in your answer. Tom Tom got back to me by return (WOW) and said exactly the same so hopefully everything should be fine (fingers crossed). I did however try to do anohter backup but the B****y thing crashed on me again. I did manage to do a restore from my old backup, don't know why it worked today and not yesterday Question Question Question
Thank you again and keep up the good work, this site is just what we novices need. Not Worthy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted... Smile

You haven't said how you tried to do that last backup. Please, please, do another full backup using Windows Explorer, not Home.
Just select EVERYTHING on the SD card and copy it to a new folder on your PC (ensuring all hidden files and extensions are set to show in Explorer's options).

There are just too many episodes where Home has failed to make a backup properly (or has missed bits), to ever trust it in my opinion.
gill57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Spoke too soon didn't I. The damn thing is worse than useless now. I tried it in my car and it keeps freezing then resetting itself. When it does come back on it starts to calculate the last route I put in it, even though the route has been cleared. I left it for an hour or so as I was losing my cool with it, when I have just tried to turn it on it won't even recognise the card in it now. I am at a loss for words as regards to what to do next. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I have tried to contact the person I bought it from with no response. I guess he feels he's got his money so what the heck. I bought it on ebay (I know what you're thinking) it was brand new and sealed. It worked perfectly until I did a backup of it and that's when my problems started. Tom Tom support just don't seen that interested (no change there then, all the big companies seem to be the same of late).
Thank you again in advance.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They often behave like that if the SD card is nearly full. Have you added new voices, maps, POIs etc since you bought it?

Try connecting to Tomtom Home and deleting one or two of the above (though not ALL maps or voices!!) to see if that improves things. If it does, buy a bigger SD card, restore your backup to that, and you should be able to work again.
gill57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Well what a response. The chap that I bought it off came through for me. He asked me to send it back and he will let me have another one by retrun. He sounded really genuine. We were on the phone for quite a while discussing it. Just have to wait to see if he is true to his word, i'll keep you potsed.
gill57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, received the replacement today and all is well. Won't be backing up with tom tom home again I can tell you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: