Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HOLUX 271 Problem - String with lat/long all zeros
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HOLUX 271 Problem - String with lat/long all zeros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: HOLUX 271 Problem - String with lat/long all zeros Reply with quote

I have a Holux 271 and a Dell axim X5. Recently my GPS had trouble finding satellites (clear view of sky) and then after a reset (warm) the GPRMC string shows 0000.000N, 0000.000E and never updates. Can anyone help me?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, given a clean view of the sky away from any buildings do matters improve after 20 mins? - Mike
NSGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 20, 30, 60, etc minutes it does not improve. The UTC time increases (date is back in 2006 i think) but the lat/long still remains all 0's.

And thanks for the welcome. It is great to have a place to ask people about these things.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect it to have locked on far faster than taking 20 mins to be honest let alone an hour, if it were working that is. Do you have access to another PDA you could try it with to make sure that the unit is in fact faulty, I am fairly confident it has broken though.
It should still be covered under warranty though as these devices have been out less than a year IIRC - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Yeah, I've had this before with Holux units when the battery has been run flat and the unit has lost it's settings. It might take 5 to 20 minutes with a clear sky view to get it's bearings again or it might just sit there and do sweet nothing. Confused

When you say you warm started it, do you have the SiRFTech or similar utility that does this? If so you may want to try doing a factory reset and see what happens. You will have to reset the Static Navigation and SBAS settings if you changed them from their defaults.

Alternatively you could take the battery out for a few hours and then try it again.
NSGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skippy

I tried it and it still does not work after being out under a clear sky for over an hour. I do have Sirftek and I can do a factory reset but where do you put in those other values you were talking about? And what would the values be?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a GR-271 we are talking about so there is no option to remove the battery, it is a CF device:

If you want to try switching the device from SiRF mode to NMEA have a read of This it might be worth trying if the device is in the wrong communication mode - Mike
NSGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my GPS in another Pocket PC (HP Ipaq) and still the same thing. No satelites (excpet once #29 i think with very low signal) and the 000.000N, 000.000E always. This sat out under a clear sky for about 40 minutes.

I did try to switch between Sirf and NMEA mode once. Even under Sirf mode the 000.000 came up.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSGuy wrote:
I do have Sirftek and I can do a factory reset but where do you put in those other values you were talking about? And what would the values be?

I would suggest you factory reset the unit and see what happens. I don't think you will make it any worse that what it is!

Don't worry about the SBAS/Static Navigation settings for now. They are minor tweaks. I think you have to switch it into SiRF mode using SiRFTech and then you get loads of strange options including Static Navigation (Off) and SBAS (On or Off doesn't seem to make that much difference in the UK).

Thanks for the pointer to the 271, Mike - I was thinking of a Bluetooth unit for some reason. Confused

Good luck!
NSGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Still no luck Reply with quote

I do appreciate you guys helping here. Still no luck though. I switched to SIRF and did a factory reset and still no accuires after 40 minutes. I am definitely running out of options I think!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: