Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TomTom HOME/Activation code
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TomTom HOME/Activation code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Problems with TomTom HOME/Activation code Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, Bought my TomTom one last week, copied SD card to computer, and then onto a new SD card, installed speed cameras, and voice warnings, all works ok. Installed TomTom HOME, onto computer last night, and set a4 digit password. Turned TomTom off, then on again, asked for password, put password in, TomTom fired up ok, switched it off again. About 10 minites later, switched it on again, splash screen came up, and it froze on the splash screen, couldn't even switch it off. Held the re-set button in for 20 seconds, this time, splash screen, and it asked for my activation code. (Started to panic now Laughing Out Loud). Used the code on the plastic card that was with the TomTom, but it said it was thewrong code, so switched it off, put the original card in, and it fired up ok, switched off again, put the copy back in, and that works ok now, all camera's, settings still there, so,

1/ Why did it ask for an activation code, shouldn't that have been copied onto the new card, if I ever have to do a reset away from home its not going to work after, unless I take the original card with me everywhere?(The original card has never asked for the code).
2/What/where is my activation code?
3/What is the number on the plastic card for?
4/When I connect the TomTom to TomTom Home, it says there are two updates available, one for, I think it was address book, not sure, and one for satallite fix, when I download them, it gets to 99% then says a file is missing and it cancells the download. I have tried several times with the same results?
5/After setting a password, and having this trouble, the TomTom no longer asks for the password, and bearing in mind the trouble I had, I don't fancy putting it back on if it's going to muck things up.

Thanks for any replys.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The activation code is for the Maps. The original was supplied with it pre-activated. Normally you don't have to re-activate it with a new card, but a Reset usually fixes it.

2/3. The number of the plastic card is the Product No. With this number, and the Device Number, you can obtain an Activation Code from www.ttcode.com

4. Never had that problem so am unable to give an answer.

5. You need HOME to put the PIN on the Device, but you go to Change Preferences to remove it.

Another way to Reset the Device is to remove the SD Card and then insert it again.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another way to Reset the Device is to remove the SD Card and then insert it again.

Which isn't recommended, if data is being transferred at the time of removal this data will be corrupted and probably require the card to be formatted and software reinstalled. Just because a device appears to have locked up and is not responding doesn't always mean its not moving data about.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
Quote:

Which isn't recommended, if data is being transferred at the time of removal
If the screen is freezing at the startup screen, there's a fair chance that there's no data being written.

andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair chance isn't a guarantee though is it, they wouldn't put a reset button on tomtom's if removing the SD card was a safe way to reset the device. I'm just being cautious, i hope it doesn't come across as being argumentative as that is not the idea.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
i hope it doesn't come across as being argumentative
Certainly not. Smile

My thinking is if all else fails, including the reset and not switching off, try another avenue.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
...try another avenue.

except it's probably not on the map! Rolling Eyes
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Oldboy wrote:
...try another avenue.

Very funny Laughing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Oldboy wrote:
...try another avenue.

I reckon we could make a good Double Act. 8) 8O

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker Joker
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, thanks for the replys, just an update, I'm running Windows ME on the computer, and when I run TomTom HOME, I'm told there is an update, "Quick GPSfix Data", I click ok to download, and it says, "Cannot install this item, Ephemeris file, this file is included with the item but should not be there. lto.dat". Also, If I try to update TomTom HOME, it says"A New Vertion of TomTom HOME is Available, Do you want to install it now", I click on yes, the install shield comes up, a blue bar goes accross the screen, when it gets to the end, the shield disapears, so does TomTom HOME, no warnings, it doesn't say its been updated, it doesn't say it hasn't, nothing. I have TomTom HOME version 1.4 at the moment.
Getting back to this activation code,

1/ Does it generate a new code every time I ask for one, is there a limit to how many It will give me?
2/ Should/Could I get an activation code, in case I need one, and keep it in a safe place, incase I'm away from home, and it freezes, and then asks for an activation code, like It did last night, or am I worrying over nothing?
2/ I still don't understand why my copy of the TomTom SD card, asked for the activation code, the original didn't, and I copied everything, with "Show hiden files" highlighted in folder options?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: