Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Blonde in distress! IPAQ4150 WM5 & GPS Spectec SDG-810
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Blonde in distress! IPAQ4150 WM5 & GPS Spectec SDG-810

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSuperGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Blonde in distress! IPAQ4150 WM5 & GPS Spectec SDG-810 Reply with quote

Hi there, :D

apologies if this is not the right place to post my question ... but I'm really a beginner (this is my very first post) and didn't see any other place. Let me know if I need to re-post elsewhere.

I've got an IPAQ4150 running WindowsMobile 5 and TomTom 6. I have been using it with a standard bluetooth receiver without problems (via port COM5) and a SD card with the maps.

Recently I bought a SDIO GPS Receiver from Spectec model SDG-810 (http://www.spectec.com.tw/sdg810.htm) which comes with a micro-SD memory card for the maps.

I installed on the PDA the driver provided with the CD that comes with the receiver. However, after inserting the SDG-810 a brief message says that COM4 is used, but it does not show it nor the memory in it.
This sounds like a COM port problem. I did not know how to verify it with WM5, so I downloaded and installed on the PDA a GPS program called CE Monitor. The program shows all other COM ports but COM4.

Now my question. How do I change the port assignment? in other words, how do I get my SDIO GPS receiver to be recognized and be able to use it? Before I forget, I also checked if this change could be done via the TomTom software, but it did not show COM4 as an option.

Again, it seems that the IPAQ 4150 assigns COM4 to the SDIO GPS but somehow that is not the input to the GPS programs. Please explain if I' wrong and how to fix it. Thanx!

Your guidance is highly appreciated.
Gobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Super Girl,

I'm no expert on COM ports etc but you could try removing the old receiver from the PDA and then connect to the new one. A soft reset by pushing in the button on the left side is always a good idea.
I've had a few bluetooth receivers on mine and I'm sure it's always COM 8 that I have to choose in TT. For some unknown reason, I always have to select 'other cable device' in the TT settings.
Maybe that will give you something to try & hopefully someone who knows there stuff about COM ports will also respond.

Good luck!
GPSuperGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gobbie,

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the soft reset already but probably I should repeat it to see if there is a new assignment to the SDIO Card. This GPS is not bluetooth and seems to use a different port.

I'll post again if I notice a change.

Thanks!

SuperGirl
Pgil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Supergirl... I can't answer your question but wondered if you had found a solution by now. I too have an iPAQ h4150 and have purchased a SPECTEC SDG-810 SDIO GPS reciever and find that the two are not compatable... dispite all attempts contacting SPECTEC to get drivers etc. My iPAQ just says "WARNING - Unrecognised Card". I notice that you are running WindowsMobile 5. Mine runs Pocket PC 2003 (I think!) and the HP site says you can't upgrade to WM5... So how have you upgraded yours and is it worth me doing mine to get mine working?

Note I've aslo been trying to get this working on a Medion PDA, but am about to give up and send it back!!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSuperGirl wrote:
Hi Gobbie,

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the soft reset already but probably I should repeat it to see if there is a new assignment to the SDIO Card. This GPS is not bluetooth and seems to use a different port.

I'll post again if I notice a change.

Thanks!

SuperGirl

That's correct .

I have Dell AXIM running WM5.

My BT GPS connects through COM7: and my CF GPS card connects through COM4:

The CF card causes a 'card not recognised' message everytime I put it in the AXIM - I just close it and off I go. I think this is actually cased by the SD card reader inluded in the CF GPS - it's a HAICOM 405. I have never been able to get an SD card to work in it - except under 2003SE on my old XDA. Luckily on the AXIM you have SD and CF card slots - so I can have my mapping on SD.

You aren't using the WM5 GPS 'manager' app (Start/Settings/GPS) are you? I wouldn't recommend this until you have it working directly as it gets very confusing and ports seem to stop working. Settings should be None/None/Not managed for the three tab pages.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4150 is SDIO compatible out of the box so should not need the driver, it may be this that is hogging COM4.

I have to ask though why you're bothering with an SD GPS. The performance of them in comparison with a BT GPS is very poor and as you already have a BT GPS it's a retrograde step?
GPSuperGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI there,

Pgil is right, the two are NOT compatible (IPAQ 4150 & Spected SDIO SDG-810).
Actually, the IPAQ does need the driver to recognize the SDIO but the problem is still the COM port allocation.
I was misled when I got the SDIO ...
My Ipaq actually runs on Windows Mobile 4.20 and Spectec requires at least WM 5.0. This Ipaq is not designed to take the OpSyst upgrade to WM 5.0 (checked this with HP directly).

The reason why I wanted to use the SDG-810 is to have an all-in-one solution since I have to fumble with the BT GPS (take it to charge, etc) besides moving around when I make a sharp turn or so. At the end, I have added attached it with velcro to the dashboard.

Thanks to all who tried to help.
I considered this closed.

Cheers,

GPSuperGirl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: