Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Consultant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: POI Database? Reply with quote

I'm totally new to all this, in fact I'm still wating for my GPS setup to arrive. After looking at the Trig database, I was wondering if there a similar, comprehensive database for UK POI? If I'm understanding correctly a POI is a set of GPS coordinates, and a description?

I've noticed that there are lots of little zip files which are sets of POI. But as yet I've not been able to find anything "all encompassing" that people can add to and freely download from as they please?

Is a sensible idea or has it already been thought of and created or shot down in flames?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which GPS are you going for and if it's PDA, which software ? All of the POI's are created for TomTom Navigator 2 on the Pocket PC, but it's fairly easy to convert them to nearly any format, it's just whether the package you're using will allow you to upload the POI's to the GPS (if it's a handheld) or into the software (if it's a PDA or PC).
Consultant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a iPaq 5550, and was going to go for the Fortuna Clip-on Bluetooth with Xtrac and the TomTom software. After a bit of research I've decided that this would make a good package.

I did have the goods on order, but the company I ordered from wouldn't under any circumstances allow me to deliver to my work address (despite getting authorisation from the companies merchant provider and my own card issuer) so I had to cancel the order. If you can suggest a company that does want my money in exchange for the above, I'd be most appreciative.

I'm a little disappointed that I bought the PDA and then found the joys of GPS about a week later, otherwise I could've bought the bundle for only a little more than the PDA cost.

The thing I was trying to get at about the POI was it would be relatively trivial to create an all encompassing POI DB accessable via the Internet with all POI in. It would allow people to add the odd POI every now and then rather than finding a subject, collecting a bunch of POI and then zipping them up before distribution?

Just a thought.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom will work with the POI's we have on this site, and we also have a POI-Sync Service which allows people to synchronise POI's to their PDA (via PC) at will which you may find better.

The POI's will be converted when we get time to other formats allowing for a much greater support for other applications.

Shame about the company you ordered from, the best bet really is to pick one of our advertisers. The problem with most companies is, if you have never ordered from them before, to secure the order and to make sure it doesn't end up in the wrong hands, they do usually need proof to say that is your work place, or proof on utility bills to say who you are just in case.

Some will ship it direct, but due to internet fraud increasing, many won't do this now until they're happy that the person ordering the goods is the true individual and not someone using his credit card just to obtain the goods under deception.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: