Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman N40i - poor GPS signal - slow fix time
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman N40i - poor GPS signal - slow fix time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danyalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Navman N40i - poor GPS signal - slow fix time Reply with quote

Hi people

Hope someone can help with this query. Having only used an old Mio 168 Digiwalker GPS device before I am relatively new to the GPS devices.

After some consideration I recently purchased a Navman N40i as per recommendations of a friend instead of going for my original choice of a Tom Tom One.

When I took the Navman outside for the first time and waited 5 minutes I got the first GPS fix. Since then it still takes ages to get a GPS fix. On one 15 minute journey I got to my destination before the device even got a GPS fix! For test purposes I went outside in a quiet non built-up area and held the device perfectly still – I wasn’t even in a car. It took 5 minutes to find the first GPS fix and then looses it easily.

If I try and use the device around Victoria in London it cannot get a GPS fix at all – not even when stationary for 20 minutes.

When using a borrowed Mio 168 Digiwalker in the past I used to place it on the passenger seat inside the car without even opening out the GPS receiver. If the device took more than 60 seconds to get a GPS fix that would be unusually slow!

I am thinking about sending the Navman back and buying a Tom Tom instead but I don’t want to do this if the Tom Tom will be even worse. I thought the Navman was supposed to have the latest chipset with one of the best GPS receivers on the market?

Would appreciate comments on this device or someone telling me whether this is normal?

Hope you can help...
Danyal
Crying or Very sad
steviebilbo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danyal - initially I would go back to the supplier who should replace it with another unit if it is not working properly and by the sound of it you shouldn't have any problem convincing them of this. If this doesnt work then talk to navman tech dept on 01293 780 950 and they will PROBABLY suggest the solution/best course of action ...
Let us know how you get on

Steve B
danyalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Thanks for the advice and Navman telephone number. I am still testing the device and have had much better results recently. Maybe I am expecting too much from GPS devices as I assumed they had moved on much more than this in the last few years!

Not too impressed with the response from Navman on the problem having emailed them. They have suggested I click the "reset GPS" button. Not exactly the most technical answer and of course I had already done this several times!

Think i have also found some bugs with the software. For example, when trying to create a multi-trip journey there is a problem adding a point of interest (POI) to the trip. You select the POI you want to add to the multi-trip but no ADD button appears on the screen so you can't actually add it to the trip. Does anyone else have this problem?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: