Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amending POI locations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amending POI locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Amending POI locations Reply with quote

Hi,
Spent a liitle time amending geo location of several local POI. (ground evidence) followed instruction double clicked on map to obtain new ref and changed location values.
However going back to check I noted that whilst original POI remained in position which is fine amended POI was positioned close but not on exactly map position I had originally intended.
Any reason for this or could it be positional lag in google map data?

Cheers
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your not moving the crosshair by scrolling across map after setting new position of POI, I found that I was doing this inadvertantly when first altering and getting the same result as you. I now ensure i only use the side scroll bars which doesnt move the crosshair,
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point will bear it in mind.
Only other thing I would like from what is an excellent POI interface is some sort of tick box to confirm that POI has been ground verified for location accuracy.
In all geo-databases local knowledge is the key...
Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could use the comments field to say you visited the site to confirm the location or that the position is as accurate as you can get it just from looking at the map etc - much more help than a tick box!

MaFt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the location needs to be marked at the nearest access point of the navigation device, which is not necessarily the actual building.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Also the location needs to be marked at the nearest access point of the navigation device, which is not necessarily the actual building.

A very valid point and you may accuse me of splitting hairs here.
The nearest access point of navigation device may vary dependant on accuracy of mapping within device.
Furthermore should the navigation software not automatically link it to nearest road......(I am aware the nearest road may not be correct :o especially with heavy urban areas)
Interestingly, google imagery more up to date than mapping in some areas.
So should be try and accurately geocode POI thus ensuring at least that data is correct independant of device or........
Fully understand access point argument BUT there is so much that can be done and in truth needs to be done to improve POI database that can be done with bit of local knowledge and your existing interface linked to google imagery.
At the end of the day its your database, I think concept and interface is excellent but hope you dont become tooooo defensive over quality and geolocation of POI's

Cheers
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac wrote:
The nearest access point of navigation device may vary dependant on accuracy of mapping within device.
This is very true, although I suspect that it is only when getting down to very minor roads, generally.
dmac wrote:
Furthermore should the navigation software not automatically link it to nearest road......(I am aware the nearest road may not be correct :o especially with heavy urban areas)
The same is true in rural areas also. See just one example below.
dmac wrote:
Interestingly, google imagery more up to date than mapping in some areas.
Very true.
dmac wrote:
So should be try and accurately geocode POI thus ensuring at least that data is correct independant of device or........
This is one of the several methods that I use.
dmac wrote:
Fully understand access point argument BUT there is so much that can be done and in truth needs to be done to improve POI database that can be done with bit of local knowledge and your existing interface linked to google imagery.
At the end of the day its your database, I think concept and interface is excellent but hope you dont become tooooo defensive over quality and geolocation of POI's
An example of the problems that can arise. This from just recently.

Crowne Plaza Hotel in Marlow. Fieldhouse Lane, SL7 1GJ

The Postcode location shows it as 51.57108,-0.75115 on the TT V660 Maps

Google Earth finds the Postcode as 51.57108,-0.75240 and this is in the middle of the Hotel.

TomTom will navigate to the A404, the nearest road some 500 yards away, which is not a lot of help.

Fieldhouse Lane is shown as a stub of road by the Rail Line.

I would make the POI location as 51.57043,-075822. The start of the Lane.

This is only my personal opinion but if I know where that Lane is, and that it leads to my destination, I'm happy. Smile

(It doesn't take much to please me!) ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: