Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help to choose
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help to choose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos8126
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Help to choose Reply with quote

hello mi friends, i live in panama central america.
i recently purchased a alpine blackbird unit. which i was planing to use here in panama, well after months trying to get maps for it i decide to quit and sold the unit which i did, now I'm looking for a new one, wich is going to be used basically for fishing activities , like mark this dock, then this other point where are fishes , etc, etc
there is a store here in panama which have the eTrex® and the GPSMAP 76
they don't know much what a gps is so they guy could not explain to me what are the differences, so i don't know if you guys can tell me anything, i don't know if another mapping unit as the blackbird will work the same? because with that one i could not do anything, about routes o way points, so will the gpsmap76 do the same, if i have no maps? or it can work without any maps?
my thinking is it maybe will do the same, so i was planing on the basic GPS 60 which is better than the etrex,

any comments?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the GARMIN website for the GPSMAP 76 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=169

You would need to buy MapSource maps for it to use the mapping - it does come pre-loaded with a base map of Americas Highways and certain marine points.

You could buy the BlueChart Marine maps for your area - can be expensive.

The GPSMAR 76 will work without any additional maps - just as an ordinary GPS unit.

But if all you want to do is log positions for jetties, fishing that you go to then a basic handheld - like the GPS60 would be ideal. I use my GPS60 for cycling/walking and occasional sailing. But I have topo maps for UK which I use to plan routes etc. Again these are not cheap products to add on. It all depends on what you want to get out of your device and how much you are going to use it.

If you think that you may want to add maps later - go for the mapping device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: