Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510/C710 discontinued?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510/C710 discontinued?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: C510/C710 discontinued? Reply with quote

I see from the usual suspect websites that the C710 is no longer available for purchase - apparently it's been discontinued. A short life.

The successor seems to be the C520t - a nice looking unit with Miomap version 3.3 and TMC for only a little more than the C710. It's going to be available from May.

What is Mitac's record for supporting legacy devices with software updates?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see if v3.3 becomes available as an update.

As far as I recall, Mio discontinued the C210 almost as soon as the C250 was launched and, by all accounts, the C210 is still supported for updates.

It therefore appears to be a large number of GPS user who'll be affected if they stop supporting these models, because there will be users of:

C210, C250, C510, C710

and not only in the UK but right across Europe - a LOT of otherwise mainly satisfied customers to make unhappy.

Also, previous point step upgrades (ie 3.1 to 3.2) have been supported on these models.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the normal progress of technology. If your GPS does what you want now, it will continue to do so.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
It's just the normal progress of technology. If your GPS does what you want now, it will continue to do so.

Sal

The point is that it doesn't always do what people want or need - thus the fiasco with the recent 3.2 update which needed to be removed because of borked TMC. The most recent update fixed some of these problems.

Anyway, the idea that if it does want you want now it will continue to do is also questionable - fashions change rapidly and so do expectations. Miomap 3.3 has many features, explicitly marketed, over those offered by 3.2.

As for the normal process of technology changing - yes but only to an extent. The C710 has had a *very* short life indeed.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Anyway, the idea that if it does want you want now it will continue to do is also questionable - fashions change rapidly and so do expectations.

But you can't expect Mitac or any other manufacturer to keep updating the unit to meet your changing requirements. If you want to keep up with fashion then you will have to buy the new unit...

Retty wrote:

Miomap 3.3 has many features, explicitly marketed, over those offered by 3.2.

...that they now offer to meet your changed requirements.

Retty wrote:

As for the normal process of technology changing - yes but only to an extent. The C710 has had a *very* short life indeed.

It's been on the market for nearly a year, that compares favourably with any other GPS model, and much longer than some technical devices. Computer models get changed almost every month.
As to the C710's "life", I would expect mine to last for a few years. It doesn't stop working when a new model comes out.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Retty wrote:

Anyway, the idea that if it does want you want now it will continue to do is also questionable - fashions change rapidly and so do expectations.

But you can't expect Mitac or any other manufacturer to keep updating the unit to meet your changing requirements. If you want to keep up with fashion then you will have to buy the new unit...

Retty wrote:

Miomap 3.3 has many features, explicitly marketed, over those offered by 3.2.

...that they now offer to meet your changed requirements.

Retty wrote:

It's been on the market for nearly a year, that compares favourably with any other GPS model, and much longer than some technical devices. Computer models get changed almost every month.
As to the C710's "life", I would expect mine to last for a few years. It doesn't stop working when a new model comes out.

Sal
Code:

An odd point of view - surely one of the benefits of the Windows core is that Mitac can quite easily upgrade the software, OEM iGO software at, with minimal fuss? This is exactly what iGO has done for specific OEM units including some of those made by Mitac.

Why should it be necessary for me to buy a new Windows core hardware unit - with the same processor - just to enjoy OEM updated software?

The comparison with PC specs is flawed - GPS units can't generally be upgraded unlike PCs. The only upgrade available for GPS units like the C510/C710 is a software update. Thus the point of the post that it would be good for the C510/C710 to enjoy an easily deployed software update to the OEM iGO software (Miomap). Its hardly a case of asking for something out of the ordinary is it? After all the unit is less than a year old.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you are making the mistake of assuming that what you want (updating your unit for new "fashions" and "expectations") is also in the manufacturer's best interest, which is certainly is not. The reverse applies - if they keep providing existing users with free updates, they will not sell any new units. They have a imperative to constantly produce new models that will tempt customers to dispose of the old unit and "upgrade" to a new one, otherwise they will go out of business.
Mitac, TomTom, and all the others will continue to replace models with new ones in a cycle measured in months not years.

Sal
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word from Mio regarding support for discontinued modes is as follows:

"We'll have new versions of the maps (2007.1) available online shortly,
in two weeks or so. That's why the others are no longer available.

MioMap v3.3 is developed especially for the new widescreen devices. For
now, there are no plans to update any of the other devices to this
version.

Full support always remains available for at least another two years
after devices are discontinued. Even after those two years, you'll find
plenty of information online and repairs are still possible."
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's fair, particularly regarding the maps. Some of the other forums have comments about devices bought with out-of-date maps and no upgrades available. The new maps mentioned by Mitac will be the second set of updates that we have had.

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Retty on this topic. Mio should have a workable device for at least 3 - 6 months after an upgrade before discontinuing a product which has not been out for a year yet.
There newest update is 01/03/07 but as I know it was only useable 2 - 3 weeks ago by the mass majority. There are also still issues with Mio's support centre (although it has got better its still poor in comparision to their rivals (Dont like to say there nameTomTom).
As I mentioned in a previous topic Mio have released 3 new models which are glorified C510 & C710 but with widescreen. If a new customer was to ask me what I think about my device I would say the following;

Pros
Nice sleek device
One of the first to have directional cams
Smallest all-in-one with built in TMC
Fast turn-by-turn
Desent connectivity to bluetooth (handsfree calling)
Auto Day/Night colours

Cons
Poor Customer support (but getting better)
TMC not working correctly (not sure if thats MIO specific or ITIS)
Cannot import POIs without a hack
Cannot import camera databases without a hack
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day, is there such a thing as a perfect GPS Question Question

Everybody is looking for something different because peoples' personal preferences differ, so the manufacturers can't please everybody all of the time.

Compared with other manufacturers, the Mio packs a hell of a punch for the money Exclamation

As I've said before, there used to be a time when we were happy just to be guided to our destination but now we expect more and more from our GPS and we appear to be less and less satisfied Confused
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
At the end of the day, is there such a thing as a perfect GPS Question Question

Everybody is looking for something different because peoples' personal preferences differ, so the manufacturers can't please everybody all of the time.

Compared with other manufacturers, the Mio packs a hell of a punch for the money Exclamation

As I've said before, there used to be a time when we were happy just to be guided to our destination but now we expect more and more from our GPS and we appear to be less and less satisfied Confused

This is probably because the growth of technology demands more for the users. Just think, computer users were happy with a 256k ISDN line for internet usage but the technological demand state that you should have no less than 1M. Remember that you could still view the same detail on the net with the 256k line but just more slooooooowwly.
A basic Satnav should be able to route from A-B which the Mio does but if it isn't working correctly you should be able to contact someone in a timley fashion to get it resolved, (this we do not get). On top of that they release 3 more state of the art devices which probably have the same errors which the previous devices still have.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and if you think TomTom et al are any better then you'll be bitterly disappointed
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
....and if you think TomTom et al are any better then you'll be bitterly disappointed

I know that as units are concerned if the senario was Mio Vs TomTom, Mio would win hands down all day. BUT as far as customer services are concerned TomTom wins by far more than a whisker.

For a start the cost of speaking to someone at TomTom is far cheaper than speaking to Mio.
The returns process is very quick

Now the million dollar question: Would I trade my Mio for a TomTom? At present NO WAY but that is only because we have a helpful forum that helps Mio users to sort out problems and basic issues i.e POIs (cant put groups of POIs in unless you use a hack), Speedcams (Mios database is terrible with upto 5 cameras pointing the same direction making that terrible noise), ect. If this forum wasn't here I would have thrown my Mio which I paid £350 for in the bin.
Not sure if I would have brought a TomTom though as they crash more times that a Sinclair Spectrum 48k.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally...but the days of "the customer rules" seem to have gone I'm afraid to say and in some places finding somebody to help you is like waiting for hell to freeze over.

I understand what you've said about the speedcam database - but the PGPSW database is also flawed, with live cameras having been deleted.

...but let's not forget that GPS is only a tool

...whilst in the meantime we can dream of the day when we can sit back and put our feet up with the GPS doing all the work flawlessly and even driving the car or whatever we're travelling in when the time comes Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: