Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another easier way to download all POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another easier way to download all POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Another easier way to download all POIs Reply with quote

I have checked out another way for downloading POIs for tomtom .ov2 format and is perhaps simpler and easier as follows:
1) Download the whole category (I tried shopping) for the Garmin in .csv format used combined and show link.
2) load into poiedit and save as shopping.ov2 or any name of you choice.
Whilst in poiedit do a search for copyright and delete to remove the annoying approx 24 uneccesary copyright files. and thats it.

I did recieve 1 faulty entry whilst loading the .csv file which I presume was possibly incorrectly entered which was a small price to pay and can probably be corrected later, and is certainly a lot quicker than my previous listing.

From this I can only presume that the download program was written primarily around garmin users, and why I got flamed from predomently garmin users on my previous listing.

I have not tested all listings yet , but would apreciate any feedback to help others with this problem
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What problem please? 8O I'm not a POI guzzler, but the few I have I downloaded in OV2 format dead easy peasy, just like the cameras. Why convert when they come already in OV2? What can be simpler and easier?

If you like messing about, download in CSV format, use Notepad to mess with them, then use Makeov2.exe to make them into OV2s, but I wouldn't call even that a project.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a problem with a few, its only a problem above approx 20 -23 entries, I would have have thought even a prolific poster like yourself would have seen that. And you dont have be a POI guzzler, the space savings on combined POIs are enormous. but then is that the point of your post.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was nothing significant in my post, simply puzzled as to some problem which I haven't seen. Maybe guzzler was the wrong word if you took offense thinking I was putting you down - I meant I don't go for them - couldn't think of another word at the time. I just have a couple of supermarkets and a couple of cheap hotel chains, so I have no idea of any volume problem, apart from the fact that I can only load up to 100. Am I forgiven? Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Not, im not one to hold a grudge, after all it is only a forum, Perhaps I see more of them because it affects me,
But I also have no problems with combined .ov2 downloads below 20 -23 entries, but some people have problems with numbers higher than this including myself, and occasionaly find it usefull to have full entries when travelling afar like shopping to keep the other half happy, Everbody has different requirements and my only view is to try and make it easier for everybody and help the best i can,
but for me I download upto 20 entries as normal using combined and show link, and above 20 now use the .csv method and save as .ov2 in poi edit, this workaround works for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: