Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 910 and poi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 910 and poi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ispy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: tomtom 910 and poi Reply with quote

just got a tomtom 910, i want to put the poi software on it, has anybody installed it on the 910? or had problems after installing? and what the best version to use, i have already backuped my device.

thanks
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean POI-Warner?

If so, why would you want to put a another program onto a Device that has a very good system built in? Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ispy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought you had to install the poi software from this forum to be able to add new speed traps? i have looked on mine and the option to add anew point of intrest is disabled! how do i activate it.....

thaNKS
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get Speed cameras you just have to add a File called an OV2 File. It is a Database of Locations.

If you want to add a Location to a category of your own, you have to create that category first.

If you go to http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/go910_710_510/tomtomgo_manual.htm you can download the User Manual for the x10 series, in one of several languages.

On page 33 of the manual it takes you through what a POI is and how to create your own.

Then if you want specific help, return and we'll try to get you going.Smile

ispy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, i'll take a look and let you know how i get on
bevnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got a 910, got the speed camera files, copied them to the tomtom (in the right area), but cannot select them for viewing, and alerting..
Got other POI's (McD's etc) and they're fine... but no speed cameras..
Anyone any ideas ???

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you put the ov2 files in the Western Europe map folder they should appear for selection when you go to Change preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI.
The one possible though is the number of custom POI loaded to your map folder, there is a limit of 100 custom POI files, so if you have installed loads of categories and exceeded the 100 limit the device will allow selection of POI but in an unpredictable manor.
Have a close look at the map folder and count up the number of files with an extension of ov2 - Mike
bevnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I had over 100 POI's, removed most of the eupoean ones, and the speed cams are there..
Cheers - Ian
mas66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: 910 POI Reply with quote

Hi

I will keep this on the same thread ........ I have a problem with the standard POI's in my 910 ........ all of the petrol stations are about a quarter mile out of place ??? .... I have checked other catagories and they seem fine ......... I have also used other units including my old 700 and everything was fine.

Could this be a prob with the poi.dat file ? ........ would it be worth replacing this file with one from a newer 910 ? if so could someone mail me a copy ?

I ahve called TT CS and I just get a stock answer that somethimes things can be inaccurate etc etc .......

Thanks in advance

MS
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try downloading and installing the Custom POI file for petrol stations from this web site, firstly it is more upto date than any other listing, and without a doubt more accurate, the download page can be found Here - Note you can only install 100 Custom POI files i.e. categories, (each category will contain thousands of location) to the device, so please don't go mad installing everything - Mike
mib150
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As long as you put the ov2 files in the Western Europe map folder they should appear for selection when you go to Change preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI.
The one possible though is the number of custom POI loaded to your map folder, there is a limit of 100 custom POI files, so if you have installed loads of categories and exceeded the 100 limit the device will allow selection of POI but in an unpredictable manor.
Have a close look at the map folder and count up the number of files with an extension of ov2 - Mike

Hi Mike,

Does each subcategory count as an individual POI file, for instance if I chose the 'Shopping' category there are 70-odd subcategories, will this use up most of the 100 available or count as just 1??

Thanks

MIB
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you decide to download, if you select Shopping as individual files then it will consume 70% of your available custom POI's, there is also an option to download the POI file with Combine Subcategories selected, this rolls all the POI files under the main heading into a single POI file which only consumes one custom POI slot on the device, its the same information - just a different way of using it - Mike
mib150
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. So I guess if you combine them, then you will look under 'Shopping' and all the shops will be in a long list instead of say 'Argos' & 'Currys' etc. That would take ages to find what you want 8O , but I suppose it's just pros & cons, more categories but less detail.

Cheers again
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mib150 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. So I guess if you combine them, then you will look under 'Shopping' and all the shops will be in a long list instead of say 'Argos' & 'Currys' etc. That would take ages to find what you want 8O , but I suppose it's just pros & cons, more categories but less detail.

Cheers again
The detail is the same. Each sub-category has the sub-category name attached.

EG. Argos - location details and Currys - location details.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: