Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - probs loading v9 maps on i3 Strange Error message!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

probs loading v9 maps on i3 Strange Error message!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stroker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: probs loading v9 maps on i3 Strange Error message!! Reply with quote

Yes a spooky one this.. to cut a long stort short I've just had my i3 nicked and I thought I would upgrade my dads i3 with V9 maps by requesting another unlock code which I did succesfully. The software (Mapsource) automatically recognised my dads unit and I chose to "send maps to unit" when an error message popped up suggesting that the place were the maps were stored was not available! The only thing I can think of is that this unit was the type without a transflash card wheras mine had a card and the maps went on a doddle. Can anyone give me a clue of how to get round this issue!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get transflash cards (aka micro sd cards) pretty cheap these days - it might be best to get one to install the new maps onto.

MaFt
bernie_rubber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you've got a i3 with the maps pre-loaded...I have too and just updated it yesterday - hit the same problem...if I had a card installed it loaded fine - without it didn't...phone Garmin Customer Support (once through press 1 then 2...listen to a short spiel about disks being sent out..) then speak to a human...

Apparently you need to install a patch to be able which then enables you to load the maps on to the internal memory...they will email it to you. But I had to ask twice as the first time I didn't recieve it!

Anyway once received just unzip the file and then double click on the .exe file and provided you've already got map source installed and the maps unlocked it should all do it's thing...worked fine for me.

Later I then transfered western europe onto it...it didn't give me an option as to whether it went on the card or the internal memory...but since it couldn't have fitted internally I'm assuming it decided for itself...it's definitely and with the card installed if I what to find an address it askes which map I want to use as part of the search process.

Good luck.

@MaFt - if you can host the zip file somewhere I'm happy to forward it to you...I don't know why it isn't on the Garmin website!
stroker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie ...great answer! I hope you email the patch to MaFt and he host it as I am sure other users will benefit from it.
Just a quikky..are you saying that you can load on a "Limited" (ie 256mb ?) amount of maps on the internal memory with this patch to negate having to buy a transflash card? Cheers ....Stroker.
bernie_rubber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just a quikky..are you saying that you can load on a "Limited" (ie 256mb ?) amount of maps on the internal memory with this patch to negate having to buy a transflash card?

The short answer is you can load the UK without a transflash card (provided you have the patch and maps unlocked)...but you don't seem able to select a smaller part of the UK or a different part of Europe. If you have a card you can install more maps...but you can't control where they get stored. So if you want your i3 to be just like it was when you bought it but with v9 maps the patch is the way to go. You don't need to buy a card.

Long answer...
When I updated my i3 I did it without a card installed...after clickling on the .exe file (in the zip file provided) it ran and then installed an updated v9 version of the maps I already had on the i3 (I had already installed v9 on my pc and had unlocked the files) - basically it was an updated version of the UK (as on the unit originally...but v9) - I couldn't select which maps to load though using the patch (so I couldn't have loaded part of Europe on to internal memory without the UK)

As I'm off to France this year I had also planned to by a transflash version of France...but of course the update DVD gives you much more...so I choose to create a map which included France and most of western Europe (about 900mg) and then used mapsource to send it to the i3 (into which I had just slotted 1gb transflash card)...mapsource saw my i3 but didn't give me an option of where to put the map - it just started to load it. It took ages...so I went away and did something else...came back with a message all loaded ok.

Incidentally - I updated the firmware of the i3 while I was waiting for the patch to arrive...so now when I search for an address it starts with country (but highlights England automatically) press the wheel...then if the card is in the i3 I have to choose a map (UK or Western Europe - England isn't on the Western Europe map that I made - so if I select the wrong map it can't find anything)...so select UK map and then your off as before to enter a postcode etc (which you can now do without leaving a space)...etc. If the card isn't in the i3 then I don't have to select a map...it just searches internal memory. I did an address search for the gite I'm staying in later this year - using the Western Europe map and it found it fine...with the GPS off it started to navigate but I got feed up waiting to get there...so turned it off.
stroker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post ...I',ve received the patch today and not been able to install my maps as I am using a torrent download version of v9 as I have been waiting 2 months for my update disc. The lovely man at Garmin (Tim) is going to mail me by recorded delivery a pucker version that will arrive tomorrow and all will be well. At the moment I personally don't need a mem card as the uk maps will do for now Thanks a bunch Bernie!! xx
BJS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took the plunge and bought the v9 maps, but now can't install them on the internal memory. Will call Garmin tomorrow for the patch... does anyone know where I can download it from? Can't find it on the Garmin site/

BJS
i3 v8 3.30

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: