Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6 or CoPilot 6?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6 or CoPilot 6?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneAWOL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: TomTom 6 or CoPilot 6?! Reply with quote

I'm upgrading my CoPilot Live 5 for PPC software and can't decide whether to go for TomTom Navigator 6 or simply upgrade to CoPilot 6.

Does anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share with me? I am very familiar with CoPilot so it might make sense to stick with what I know. But then TomTom gets a great write up. I just can't decide.

Btw, I'm planning to use the new software with HP hw 6915 mobile messenger which has built-in GPS. Does one work better with this model than the other?

I don't want to seem impatient but I'm hoping someone will buy this for me for Christmas so there is a little bit of urgency to the question!

Cheers!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it pains me to say it - probably TomTom.

TomTom has the advantage of more up-to-date maps. Now my view could change if Copilot 7 were on the horizon - but who knows. Also, TomTom seem to release updated maps on a regular basis which you can buy (even if the application hasn't changed) whereas with CoPilot, you seem to be stuck with the maps available when the version was released. Stand-alone maps for CoPilot just don't appear to be available.
GoneAWOL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. That would appear to swing it for me! You are stuck with old maps with CoPilot, aren't you? And I find the voice in CoPilot irritating, especially when the voice says 'millez' instead of 'miles'.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milez has been fixed
GoneAWOL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has milez been fixed? Do I need to download a patch?
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 6 or CoPilot 6?! Reply with quote

GoneAWOL wrote:
I'm upgrading my CoPilot Live 5 for PPC software and can't decide whether to go for TomTom Navigator 6 or simply upgrade to CoPilot 6.....;;;
Cheers!

I left this post as a PM then I thought I should just post it as well:

Hi,

I saw a message you posted about your uncertainty with the newest version of Tom Tom or CoPilot 6.

I am in the same exact boat as you.

What I do not like about CoPilot 5 are 2 major things:
1. It very often does not get it correct when it comes to one-way roads
2. The POI database is lacking

I am in NY in the USA. Are you from the UK? That might also make a difference.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

-Pete R.
(in NY)
GoneAWOL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am in the UK. I took the plunge in the end and bought TomTom Navigator 6 and ditched CoPilot. I haven't looked back! TomTom is fab. It always gets me to where I want to go (except when a new roundabout appears then it gets confused), the turn by turn instructions are spot on and it doesn't take an age to find the satellite positions (something I found frustrating with CoPilot). I also found CoPilot developed technical problems frequently which meant I had to reinstall. Fingers crossed, I've had no such problems with TomTom.

I am using it on my HP iPAQ 6915 (which I also love) and a Brodit clip and active cradle. It's unobtrusive and the pda sits at a perfect angle on the console for me to see it. Because the volume on the 6915 is so good, I don't need those cumbersome pda cradles with speakers. Whatever choic e you make/made I hope you enjoy it.

The only thing I would say is CoPilot's customer support was really good, efficient and accessible. I wish I could say the same for TomTom. If you have a question you have to email and wait days for a reply. And then they quite often just send you a link to a help page you've already checked out but didn't find helpful! Their customer support is truly awful. But the software makes up for it.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how things will change when CoPilot 7 is released. Hopefully ALK will do what TomTom already do - separate the map releases from the application releases; after all, once the application reaches a certain level of competence, it is the accuracy of the mapping which is of primary importance.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: