Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One Display Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One Display Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Laird
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: TomTom One Display Problem Reply with quote

I have a TT1 ver1 (just out of warranty) that has recently developed a display problem. The screen display has suddenly become faded and although just about readable, it is washed-out and indistinct with uniform thin, white horizontal lines appearing.

Otherwise, the device appears to function currectly.

I have performed a reset etc. but without result.

The device has not been dropped or damaged. Does anyone recognise the symptoms? Has a component part given up the ghost?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TTs come with a 2 year Warranty. Are you saying it is over 2 years old, or assuming it's only a 1 year warranty?

Check the legal paperwork that came with the ONE when new.

Telephone TT on 0845 1610009, and have your receipt to hand, and see how you get on.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find the paperwork, the Guarantee is also in a text file stored on the unit.
Mine is in the folder called "Licences" and the file is called "lic_eng.txt"

Section 6 says:
Quote:
6) LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
{snip}
c) TomTom warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is
the shorter of (a) two (2) years from the date that the Hardware was first purchased by you and (b) the period ending upon your
breach of any term of the EULA (“Warranty Period”). During the Warranty Period the Hardware will be repaired or replaced
at TomTom’s option (“Limited Warranty”), without charge to you for either part or labor.
The_Laird
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have something here, chaps.

I had assumed a 12 month manufacturer's warranty. It would seem that it is, in fact, a 2 year warranty, so I'm well inside.

All I have to do now is subject myself to the vagaries of TomTom customer service.

Thanks to each for advice.

PS: It does occur to me that of-the-shelf SatNav is somewhere in the region once inhabited by Windows 95. ie: a promising start but still a long way to go. I believe that forums such as this exist for suggested upgrades, workarounds and tweaks. Why? The consumer item is not quite ready, that's why.
The_Laird
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedantry alert re above... for "of", please read "off".
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you actually get to talk to them about a return, I found TT very efficient. I'd advise you contact by phone NOT email.

They send you a link to print out a DHL shipping label. You ring DHL and arrange for them to pick it up from anywhere (I said my work address). You can track it's progress, and I got mine back in about 11 days.

Be prepared to accept a "Refurbished" device (that's in the guarantee wording) The unit they sent me LOOKED brand new to me though.

As for it being new technology, I tend to agree.
I am of an age where I'm still astounded they work at all, let alone do it as well as they do, and I have to try not to lose patience with youngsters who expect them to do miracles.

But in 10 years time we will look back at the units and map delivery methods we have today, and laugh!
The_Laird
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - all sorted now.

I was quite impressed with the return service. The whole process was, perhaps, a little bit fiddly (not least the assembly of the of the small flatpack carton enclosed for the return - it would try the skills of a rocket scientist).

However, once things were underway, I had the device returned and fully functional within about 4 days.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: