Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT GO 910 - simple question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT GO 910 - simple question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottomummy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: TT GO 910 - simple question Reply with quote

I have searched the site, but can't find an answer to my question, sorry!

Our TomTom was purchased by my husband, and I do the programming! We have subscribed to Traffic, and using the TT yesterday, I realised that although I am getting speed camera warnings, I don't think Traffic is operating. But then again, maybe there were no accidents(!).

My problems is that when i hit TomTom Traffic on the unit, it asks me for a "user name". We don't know what our user name is (grief, I sound useless!). Also, do you have to have your mobile on to make this connect once you do know your User Name. Is this where you ask/find out about traffic jams?????

Basically, a very brief, non sales, description of how the wretched thing works would be very gratefully received! I have asked TT on-line help and am still awaiting an answer!!!!!! Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, to use TomTom Traffic you must have your mobile phone connected to the 910 via Bluetooth and have it set up for a data connection.

The phone must be enabled for GPRS connectivity, most mobile phone service providers will need to be asked to enable this on your handset - its a simple procedure where they send some settings to the phone.

Some networks only allow this type of connection via a monthly contract - it might help if you let us know the service provider and contract or Pay as you go in order to offer more specific advice.

To connect the 910 to the phone switch on Bluetooth and make sure discoverable is selected, on the 910 tap the mobile phone icon and answer Yes to the hands free connection - the 910 will now search for the phone - answer Yes if it finds the correct device - once hands free is set up press continue on the 910. Proceed with the Wireless Data Connection set-up on the 910 - Mike
ottomummy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that mikealder - to give you more background, my husband's IT colleague set up the phone, and I know it's on bluetooth, handsfree etc, as I tested it yesterday by trying to dial from the 910, and it worked.

I just feel that as I cannot access the "TT Traffic" button 'cause I don't know my "user name" i'm missing out on something - but maybe i'm not!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you connect to the TomTom Home application on the PC you have an account with an associated e-mail address - use this for your user name etc - Mike
ottomummy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do-oh! I wondered about this, I can't test it at the moment as husband has his mobile with him. But thanks, i'll have a go tonight. Do you get traffic advice, i.e., accidents etc automatically, i mean, do they just pop up if they are on your route?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan a route and any incident will appear on the right side of the screen the distance to the incident and its associated delay will also be given. Tap the bar for more detailed of the delay type, position etc.

You can set the 910 to automatically re-route thus avoiding potential hold ups, also if you are using a Text To Speech computer voice the device can read out the delay information - the auto re-route can be useful, but you often don't know what it has done to your route without a detailed inspection of the route text/ full map (not viable at speed on the road).

Try out the options etc then you should be able to set it up as per your own preferences, only set the update traffic information to 15 mins or so, any less and you could incurr a hefty phone bill for GPRS traffic (check your mobile phone for cost details) - Mike
ottomummy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for your help - i've got mobile phone and user names together and everything is now working! We are looking forward to many a diversion around traffic now!

thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear but please pay attention to other sources of information at the same time, the overhead signs, radio info etc - these can at times give a more accurate situation report in my experiance, the information provided is good but I would not always divert because of what it claims - the data is improving though, and TMC data is a great aid when driving distance, just don't let it become the sole source of information, and use local knowledge where known - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: