Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 issues on ipaq 6515
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 issues on ipaq 6515

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattMR2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 issues on ipaq 6515 Reply with quote

Hi,

I've bought an ipaq 6515 from a friend. It has TomTom 5.1 on it and it picks up the GPS signal well and works fine for about 10 minutes. TomTom then loses the plot and maps my position as some 500 yards to the left/right of where I am.

Stopping TomTom and re-launching it fixes the problem, but the same thing happens again 5/10 minutes later (rather distracting when you are trying to drive).

When the problem occurs, the signal on the main screen has 4/5 bars, but when you go into the GPS status screen all the bars are flat.

Does anyone have any ideas? Some people seem to have given up on the internal GPS and use a Bluetooth receiver, other says it works fine.

Would performing a hard reset give me any more options to configure the GPS hardware?

Many thanks!

Matt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hard reset won't give you any more options as such, but it will clear any rubbish from the device and return it to the same standard it was in when first purchased. So long as you have all the software you need to re-install applications etc I would give it a try, please note doing this will wipe evrything from the device though - Mike
mattMR2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, we gave it a try today, unfortunatly it didn't make any difference. After 10 minutes TomTom goes wandering off in to a field never to return!

My friend has a bluetooth GPS receiver. We're going to try that to see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers,

Matt
mattMR2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Managed to fix the problem. I think it was due to there being too many POI enabled (speed camera warnings). I disabled them all and then did a 35 mile trip. It worked perfectly.

Funny thing is that I still got the speed camera warnings?!? Must be a bug in TT5.1 that although you disable the POI it still picks up the "warn when near POI" setting. Not only did it fix the gps signal but the screen updates were smoother.

I've since upgraded to TT6 and it seems to run fine with all the POI's enabled, although I've only done a 15 mile round trip to test it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt what you have done is correct, the enable/ disable POI function is indeed separate to the Warn When Near POI function, with the POI disabled you should find the device more responsive and the screen less jerky, but you will still get warnings - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: