Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Submitting new cameras - questions etc.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Submitting new cameras - questions etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Submitting new cameras - questions etc. Reply with quote

Hi guys, may be in the wrong area here, sorry

I've submitted many cameras, either new or modified as i get to drive around a lot of the country. Some have appeared and some havent changed.

Recently i submitted the new cameras on the A14 near Huntingdon, the specs, a few times i think??, they have appeared on the submit camera map, i'm not sure if they are yet to be 'swiched on' though , more are going up on the A14 so i will get their locations when i head that way!!.

How do i know if i get the free subscription for the adding/changes??.....personally i dont mind as its only £2, was just curious thats all Smile Smile

also how do you guys verify them, is there a team of members that try to do this???, i'm quite happy to still check when i'm out and about as it benefits other members having the updated info!!

many thanks

Ben
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a group of verifiers who go out to check camera locations. But it's not just those who do checking - you may be doing some yourself, because apparently if PGPSW receive several reports all giving the same information they count it as "good" without needing to be checked by the verifying team.

I can bear witness to the free membership. But it's not that easy - you have to be the first to do the report and when you say you've seen more cameras going up and will report their locations next time you pass that way, bear in mind there are (how many?) hundreds of members out there doing the same as you. I do a lot of driving myself (60K/year at least) and make a point of submitting any information I can - I just drove back from Glasgow on Monday and reported changes to five temporary cameras and two mobiles. But in my case, it's usually late in the day by the time I get home to the computer for reporting, so I'm usually one of the ones whose reports add to the volume of reports, rather than be the first in with it. Because I already won my free membership over a year ago (funnily enough, about 10 seconds before I started to join up with money!!), I've no idea whether I do first time reports these days - they don't tell me I'd have won one if only I didn't already have one.

You will learn about your free membership only when they tell you you've been awarded one (sort of "Don't call us, we'll call you"). They don't have the staff to reply to your submissions telling you either "yippee" or "hard luck"!! When each new update comes out it always says "free memberships will be handed out by xx date/time".

It seems you have the same attitude as many of us - submitting reports for the benefit of the entire membership. Long may you continue to do so and please be assured you have my sincere gratitude and I'm not alone in thanking you.

Good luck for a future award.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Dennis....longest i've read so far!!, site is fairly new to me so it takes me a while to find some topics!

like i said i'm not worried, just curious Laughing Laughing but will continue to check cameras when they warn me!!

thanks again

Ben
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for your notes free membership is only awarded against fixed cameras.
Temps & mobiles, are not fixed cameras
I am not sure with regards to specs as some of these are permanent & others are temporary mabey a mod can clear that bit up ??
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonys66 wrote:
Also for your notes free membership is only awarded against fixed cameras.
Temps & mobiles, are not fixed cameras
I am not sure with regards to specs as some of these are permanent & others are temporary mabey a mod can clear that bit up ??

Temps DO count as fixed (they don't move around, even though they are only there for a relatively short time) and Specs (most of the ones I've seen are temporary for roadworks) count also. Both are fixed in so far as they are stuck to the ground in just the same way as Gatsos etc (indeed, moveable Gatsos and Monitrons on trolley-mounted power generator stands are often used as temps, but still count as fixed).

A mobile is a camera which can be moved simply by up and away with the van, car or motorbike (even footslogger) and they normally only spend a very few hours in one spot (but you knew that already - I'm just saying it to point out the difference!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: