Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie in Northern Ireland, which nav software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie in Northern Ireland, which nav software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Newbie in Northern Ireland, which nav software? Reply with quote

Hi Guy's, I've just got a Ipaq 2210 with a 256mb sd card and am looking for suggestions for Sat Nav software.
The thing is as the header says I'm in Ireland and from my own research it seems that not every package supports Ireland.
So before i spend me money, perhaps you who may have these Sat Nav packages could tell me what sort of coverage of Ireland, esp' Northern Ireland, they have.

I like the look of TT2 and D3, despite the bugs, but is there any others out there that will work for me?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Spudd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody ? Question 8O
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Belfast only Reply with quote

Hi Spudd

Just checked TT2 map - has only got coverage of Belfast only.

Hope this helps
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet really would be a package with NavTech maps. Still no where near perfect, but it's better than TeleAtlas which TomTom use.

Destinator 3 or CoPilot Live would be a better solution because of this. D3 does have problems with roundabout support and I'm waiting for an update as the patch I am testing works, but CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 4 is a good app that works well.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done 5 or 6 trips in Ireland with my Garmin GPS (NavTech maps) and the coverage is pretty limited.

BTW, when I refer to Ireland int this context I mean North and South, geographically speaking (not politically) so please don't be offended by this! Confused

The background to the mapping situation is that pretty much 100% of the GPS street routing systems use TeleAtlas http://www.teleatlas.com/ or NavTech http://www.navtech.com/ maps.

They are working on improving the coverage which is good news.

NavTech

According to NavTech's PR at http://www.navtech.com/Press/11-04-2002-176.html

Quote:
"By the end of 2002 the NAVTECH® navigable map database of All-Ireland will cover, in street level detail, 3,300 square kilometres, 9,000 kilometres of roads and around 2 million of the population. This includes: the Dublin and Belfast metropolitan areas along with the Cork, Derry, Limerick, Galway and Waterford urban areas."

TeleAtlas

Check out the press release at http://www.navshop.com/directsales/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=169

Quote:
· Major road network of all Ireland.
· Detailed street network of Belfast, Greater Dublin and 15 Irish cities including Cork, Galway and Limerick.

The other thing to watch out for is that the vendor's solution you buy has the latest maps from NavTech or TeleAtlas. Also beware that lots of GPS vendors advertise "Full coverage" of Ireland - this is blatantly wrong. Look past the marketing bumf and ask them which map vendor the streetmapping uses and what date the maps were released from the supplier.

You can see an example of the coverage provided by the NavTech Maps with Garmin's MapSource Map Viewer. Zoom right in on a small town that you know well and see what is covered and what is not. Basically, it's only major roads outside the cities they name.

I have found that the the cities they claim to cover have very good coverage though, street numbers, turn restrictions etc are all there.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectEuro.jsp#

Good luck! Thumbs Up
Spudd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. At the moment I'm thinking of D3, once the bugs have been ironed out.
Thanks Skippy, I'm not offended, I live in the north but have family in the south, so I would like coverage of the whole of Ireland.

Does anyone know when TT3 may be released, perhaps with increased coverage in ireland?

Thanks again. Happy
Tim
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudd wrote:
Does anyone know when TT3 may be released, perhaps with increased coverage in ireland?

I don't know about plans for TomTom3 (they use TeleAtlas I think) but the mapping depends on when TeleAtlas/NavTech deem that Ireland is important enough to be completely mapped. Their websites have an area to report errors in their maps, so write to them and tell them that the Irish maps are incomplete. At least they will know that there is demand for the maps. :D

If you don't know Dublin and Belfast (or you travel to GB/Europe at all) then you will find the GPS very useful anyway as these areas are well mapped, as are the connecting roads and some major cities in Ireland. I still wouldn't be without my GPS while in Ireland, even though the maps are limited.

Do choose carefully, 80% of the fuctionality of a street mapping GPS depends on having complete and uptodate maps.

Good luck! Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: